Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blade wobble at startup

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    Thanks, Lee, but I prefer the thin kerf blade. The one you referenced is a good blade, though.
    What benefit do you think you are getting from a thin kerf blade instead of a full kerf blade?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Do you have the big “stabilizer” washers on both sides ? Failure to use them is ,I think a common cause of wobble. Seen it in a commercial
    shop with a dumb-bell foreman. Company had dumb-bell policy of giving the foremen extra bonus for not buying stuff needed . A used saw
    might not come with the correct washers.
    I bought the saw new in 1990 and I'm still using the same 2.5" stabilizers that came with the saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    The stabilizers I’ve seen would not interfere with cuts. Can’t imagine that with modern liability laws that they would sell any that could
    impede full standard range of cut.
    The ones on there now are the 2.5" that came with the saw; no, they don't interfere with the cut. I've not checked into aftermarket stabilizers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    What benefit do you think you are getting from a thin kerf blade instead of a full kerf blade?
    Less wood removed in a cut. I work with a lot of exotic woods and fine domestic hardwoods and want to make as small a cut as possible. If I was just cutting Pine for crafts and such or cutting sheet goods where I may want a flat bottom for a dado I'd have a full kerf blade in a heartbeat but I rarely work with those.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    Less wood removed in a cut. I work with a lot of exotic woods and fine domestic hardwoods and want to make as small a cut as possible. If I was just cutting Pine for crafts and such or cutting sheet goods where I may want a flat bottom for a dado I'd have a full kerf blade in a heartbeat but I rarely work with those.
    I don't know what rpm the wobble you have observed occurs, but if you saw slows down to that rpm range during any cut the wobble will be there making your kerf wider.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

IMHO: I don't like thin kerf blades for deep cuts (or in general really). That said, I own two thin kerf blades, the forest ply veneer blade and a Freud glue line rip that hasn't come out of the draw in many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I don't know what rpm the wobble you have observed occurs, but if you saw slows down to that rpm range during any cut the wobble will be there making your kerf wider.
    LOL! I've never seen any cut slow this saw down! There have been a couple of times where a board closed up on the blade and I fought like crazy to hold the board down, hoping the saw would stall but it never even changed pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    IMHO: I don't like thin kerf blades for deep cuts (or in general really). That said, I own two thin kerf blades, the forest ply veneer blade and a Freud glue line rip that hasn't come out of the draw in many years.
    I've had no issues with this one, suits my needs perfectly.
    David

Btw, I really like your Pantagraph design.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Btw, I really like your Pantagraph design.
    Thanks, John! I had forgotten there was a video on that. Thanks for checking it out!
    David

I just remembered that many years ago when I worked in a mill that was opened about 1900 ,we had good on site sharpener who did all.
    He said that the saws (blades) would get warped from heat . He used a thick steel machined plate to check for saw flatness, then hammered
    them flat ,( I’ve forgotten the details on how). He also took in outside work. When he started the tapping he turned oven a 5 minute egg
    timer , I think it was 5. If he straightened saw in the 5 minutes there was no extra charge. All the saws we used were high grade .

Pretty cool story, Mel. Probably not a lot of guys left around like that.
    David