Thread: BIN Shellac Primer vs Sanding Sealer? Or both?

BIN Shellac Primer vs Sanding Sealer? Or both?

Need to paint some office furniture I built (cabinets and shelves made from alder). What would be the better foundation for a sprayed alkyd paint? I've never used sanding sealer but have used BIN shellac primer. The BIN actually had some issues with chipping of the topcoat and I am not sure why. The BIN primer did stick just fine as I can see the white underneath the chipped paint areas.

Or use something else entirely?

Blog Entries
    I generally use Benjamin Moore Enamel Underbody on interior bare wood. It is an excellent product. I consider it the very best primer for bare wood. Bin is a good primer. It does not level well, sand well, or have much build for filling grain. It will slowdown the amount of time that it takes for knots and pitch to bleed through. I consider sanding sealer only for clear finishes.

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 5.02.50 AM.png
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-02-2023 at 9:01 AM. Reason: snip, primer info from the web + more
    Best Regards, Maurice

Both of those are so easy to sand that I would think durability wouldn't be their strong suite. Sherwin Williams makes an "Extreme Bond" primer that it pretty tough stuff, if that's high on the list. Their primer for wood is good too, but very expensive.

I used to use BIN white pigmented shellac primer under the WB paints I use. I worked well but I noticed some chipping on corners, too, with a couple of topcoats I put over it. I've used SW's Wood and Wallboard primer and it works well except you have to thin it a lot to spray it. Lenmar makes an amazing primer for WB products called "Undercoater". Incredibly low viscosity for the solids content, sprays beautifully, and sands easily. I've only used it under their WB lacquer so I can't comment on whether it's suitable as a universal primer.

When BIN got stupid expensive I looked for another product. Turns out their WB product, Bullseye 1-2-3 Primer, works as well, maybe better, than BIN and is very economical. It sprays great and is water clean-up. It's the product I use under WB paints now. No issues in the 2 years or so I've used it.

John

This is the SW wood primer I was thinking about. https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...ex-wood-primer

I had forgotten "exterior" was in the name. I have used it on exterior work, consider it excellent, and will continue to use it on exterior work in places where I have used oil based primer for decades.

I've used their Wood and Wall on sheetrock walls, but never on wood, and don't consider it worth the premium price on sheetrock. It does spray beautifully unthinned with airless. I now use Bullseye too on interior work. To me, both leave a strong smell for a couple of days.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-02-2023 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    This is the SW wood primer I was thinking about. https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...ex-wood-primer

I had forgotten "exterior" was in the name. I have used it on exterior work, consider it excellent, and will continue to use it on exterior work in places where I have used oil based primer for decades.

I've used their Wood and Wall on sheetrock walls, but never on wood, and don't consider it worth the premium price on sheetrock. It does spray beautifully unthinned with airless. I now use Bullseye too on interior work. To me, both leave a strong smell for a couple of days.

I used that SW's Exterior Primer on two sets of frame and panel double doors I made for my shed about 4 years ago. Worked really well and the topcoat still looks great with no peeling, etc.

John