Thread: Alternative to KompoZer (Mac) needed

Alternative to KompoZer (Mac) needed

I've been running my website on prehistoric software - well, I've been doing is so long that I am not sure that I can learn anything new .... but open to suggestions as long as they are geared to a beginner.

For the past 15 years I have written an article in Word, inserted photos, and then converted it to a HTML document using Open Office. This is probably a long way around for others, but it gets me there.

The application I am missing is an alternative to KompoZer. This situation has come about as KompoZer is no longer supported by my new laptop, the latest MacBook Pro (M1, running Monterey). I would use KompoZer to write the Index page, and embed a link to the HTML file. Then the whole lot would be uploaded to my website using FileZilla.

I've looked at one app, BlueGriffon, but it is not running properly - it will write and save text, but greys out with links.

Any help here?

Regards from Perth

Derek

SeaMonkey (SeaMonkey-project.org) is a continuation of the old style Netscape software suite. It contains an HTML editor that I've used many moons in the past, no idea about its current state. If you're using Open Office, have you considered Libre Office? LO has gotten a lot more development than Open Office.

Thanks Curt. That is very helpful! I shall play with both and see what eventuates.

Regards from Perth

Derek

4. As an alternative to KompoZer, there are several programs for the Mac.
    Adobe Dreamweaver, is a professional web design and development program. It is a bit more advanced than KompoZer, but offers a lot of flexibility and powerful features. The program is available for free trial or as a paid subscription.
    Pinegrow is another web design tool. It is more beginner-friendly than Dreamweaver and has a simpler interface that is easy to use. There is no free version here either.
    And the third tool already mentioned by Kurt is SeaMonkey. It's not as powerful as Dreamweaver or Pinegrow, but it's free, and it's a good option if you're looking for a simple tool to create basic web pages.

Thanks Roeland. I have tried all of those programs. They do not work under Monterey or higher.

But I do have a plan. I aim to install VMWare Fusion. This will enable the MacBook Pro to install a second Mac operating system, one earlier than Monterey. That will enable the older programs I was running to run once again!

Regards from Perth

Derek

6. Your plan to use VMWare Fusion is a good workaround that should allow you to continue using the programs you used to work with. I hope this works well for you!