Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router Table Coping Sled

Personally, I would make one. For two reasons;
    Firstly it is a good project to hone skills on.
    Secondly, all of the above mentioned sleds are assuming that you are working with 1x4 material. Any bigger and you’re out of luck. Smaller can also be problematic.
    Here is a home made sled. The total cost is in the clamps. This sled was made to produce A&C style doors where the rails had more width than the stiles.
    627554D8-AECF-46E5-8853-1F064DCF23F5.jpg
    If you do choose to make one, or buy one, the critical attribute is that piece of lexan. Everything is referenced to that lexan. Not the sled base, the fence, or the stop blocks on the sled base. The lexan edge is the reference for everything.
    Any inaccuracies in the sacrificial backing material will be transmitted to the work piece. The backing material has to be dead parallel.
    Here is another to make 1/2 lapped mitered frames for gable vents.
    86A827FE-B98B-4972-B7F2-71D0FE63AD93.jpg

Both of these sleds were made to use on a shaper where the forces are greater than a router table. But they could still work on a router table.
    That Rockler sled is nice, but it may not secure the wood for a single pass. It might take multiple passes.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-01-2023 at 1:53 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    I built a Ritter clone. I was tired of inconsistencies from flexing in my previous sled (heavy clamping would intermittently pull the base out of flat)
    Attachment 492626Screenshot_20230101_172355_Gallery.jpg
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 01-01-2023 at 5:32 PM.