Thread: Router plane iron

Router plane iron

I acquired a Stanley #71 router plane, with no cutter.

Can I make one from an allen key with minimal heat treating?

I’m not totally sure the answer to your question (I think that heat treating would be required) but I Did want to mention that the Lee Valley blades will fit in it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I’m not totally sure the answer to your question (I think that heat treating would be required) but I Did want to mention that the Lee Valley blades will fit in it.
    The Lee Valley blades will fit but the adjuster nut may need to be used upside down.

On mine, a Sargent equivalent, there is an approximately 1/4" wooden base added.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes ....I have indeed made a couple....helps to have one as a pattern, though. Allen wrenches are hex shaped, and you will need to mill them square, BUT, keep them oriented correctly to fit into the plane. As for the cutting edge....keep a big mug full of water close by....grind a tad, dunk, grind a tad, dunk....

Oh, and a Dremel cut-off wheel ( or 3) to cut the slot at the top...and get it to fit the adjusting nut.

Was much easier to just order a cutter from Lee Valley. Yes, you will have to turn the adjusting nut upside down.

I have a 1/2" OEM cutter ( came with the plane) and a 1/4" LV cutter.....which means IF I need to use the 1/2" cutter, I have to reverse that nut, again.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Find a book that covers making shaper tooling, chisels, knives, etc. and do some research. Go to your local automotive parts outlet and purchase a length of key stock. Cut off a piece to length, while annealing the length of key stock bend it to app. 95-100 degrees then grind to shape, sharpen and use. Or purchase what you need from a tool retailer like Lee Valley as Tony mentioned. or someplace like Jim Bode Antique Tools.

Thanks, all.