Thread: Best Clear Target Product For Table Tops

Best Clear Target Product For Table Tops

The title says it all. I'm getting ready to refinish a dining room and kitchen table. The DR table is dyed Alder and the kitchen one is unstained Jatoba. I'll be using a FUJI HVLP sprayer to apply. I get a bit overwhelmed with all the Target products and am having trouble deciding which one to use. Thanks in advance for your input.

Target's products suitable for tabletops aren't clear. Both the EM-8000CV and EM-9300 have a yellow tint to them. If you put either over your dyed DR table the color is going to shift. That may be acceptable, or maybe not. With that in mind, if you want a dead clear finish that's up to the task of hard use on a tabletop, I'd look at GF's Conversion Varnish (but only if you have good ventilation and PPE because the catalyst is toxic), or a 2K Poly like automotive clear coat.

John

EM8000CV is what I generally use (with crosslinker for better chemical resistance once fully cured). The EM9300 polyester is also a great product and also has UV protection. But as John indicated, they are "warm", not "water white". I honestly don't prefer "water white" on most wood species, even more so for darker ones.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks John & Jim for your feedback. I don't think the color shift is going to be a problem and may actually be a plus with the Jatoba table. Is was able to order this a.m. and still take advantage of the 30% off sale.

Yea, 30% off is an excellent deal as it covers shipping and sometimes more.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I second the recommendation for EM8000CV with the cross linker. I have my own kitchen island and table with it, and it's quite durable, once cured (YMMV on the cure time. Baby it for the first couple months). I have used both the matte and satin sheens and can attest to their ease of application and durability. I have not used the glossier sheens.