Thread: Still use your router table?

Still use your router table?

I have been going back and forth. Some things still seem easier on the router table - putting a groove in a board as example - just set the router table fence and run it through.

But then a stopped groove I am back to the CNC.

Of course, I 'could' run the groove on the CNC without programming, just use the manual controls. Need a good locating/hold down setup to make that happen easily.

A bigger grooving project would be to the shaper.

I notice a lot of my usual way of work is a 'relative' reference (story stick type thinking - xxx off an edge), and not 'absolute'. That changes for the CNC.

Not a production shop and most of my work is one off. Wondering what all of your experiences have been. (not getting rid of my router table any time soon, but can imagine a scenario where if I 'had' to I would still get by fine with the CNC).

How have you incorporated the CNC into your approach? (again not production)

Absolutely my router table gets used...for edge work and other milling.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use the CNC for what it's good at, like putting dowel holes, cutouts, dados, etc. in sheet goods. Even for a single part I will sometimes use the CNC because the accuracy is "absolute" and I don't have to make templates. For multiples, it's an easy decision. But it's not a substitute for my router table, especially for edge work. I use the router table less now that I have the CNC, but I can't see a point where I'd contemplate getting rid of it in favor of doing everything on the CNC.

John

I suppose you *could* flush trim on a cnc. Put a cutter in the spindle and slide the piece around on the table. But without a dedicated guard system it seems pretty sketchy in terms of safety. I use the fence on the router table, backed off just enough for clearance, whenever possible.

Absolutely I still use it. The table makes quick work of edge profiling and simple rabbets/dados. When the work is more intricate or requires symmetry that will be noticeable it’s the CNC. I find I’m trying to work more on the CNC but the router definitely has its place still.

I still use mine for edge work, etc. (Benchdog TS wing). I use a 3/16 flush trim bit a lot for removing the dreaded cnc tabs.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I use mine often, probably half the jobs I produce. it's an essential tool in the shop.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram