Thread: A Christmas hammer

A Christmas hammer

My wife went above and beyond this year and got me the special edition engraved lump hammer from crucible tool. It's so pretty I'm almost afraid to hit anything with it. The product description says that by choking up on the handle and simply lifting the hammer slightly and letting gravity do it's thing that this hammer can replace a mallet for chisel work. I haven't tested that theory, but we'll see 🙂
    IMG_20221224_150158965.jpgIMG_20221224_150124295.jpg

Beautiful! But I would have claimed to have gotten it for some great humanitarian work. Lot prettier than most of the humanitarian prizes !
    Use it only for good, never for evil . Right now , some professional wrestlers are thinking …”that’s a beautiful BELT buckle”.

I've been eyeballin' those. After you use it, how about posting your thoughts?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Well, it's a nice looking hammer, but where does it fit in woodworking?

I am not a fan of using metal hammers on wood, I prefer wood, plastic, and leather, the softer materials.
    For those who use tools like the one the OP just posted, what do you use them for?

Blog Entries
    A very nice gift from your wife. A lot of us old timers might say, "she's a keeper."

For those who use tools like the one the OP just posted, what do you use them for?
    I have a couple of sledges, the three pounder has a short handle like the lump hammer. It gets used for driving wedges, working on metal and a few other things that don't matter if it gets a dent in it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I've been eyeballin' those. After you use it, how about posting your thoughts?
    Sure! I'll do some testing with it and let you know my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A very nice gift from your wife. A lot of us old timers might say, "she's a keeper."

I have a couple of sledges, the three pounder has a short handle like the lump hammer. It gets used for driving wedges, working on metal and a few other things that don't matter if it gets a dent in it.

jtk

I have a variety of hammers, with a few small "lump" hammers in the mix, I just don't take them from the greasy side of the shop to the dusty side.
    I use a heavy wooden mallet or dead blow for the extra "umph" or stubborn wooden pieces.

2lb. Metal hammers and wood are not always a good mix.

JMHO

Congratulations Jason. That is a real beauty. I have a cheap 2lb “lump” hammer that I keep in my shop. It’s a great tool for whacking a holdfast or moving stuff that doesn’t want to move. I just use a sacrificial piece of wood if I am concerned about leaving a mark.
    Enjoy!

A really thoughtful gift, without regard to it's utility for various tasks. You really aren't going to use it are you?

A thoughtful gift. I’ve had my eye on one. I have 16 hammers/mallets currently and really can’t rationalize another, especially when I already have a heavyweight thumper. Here’s hoping that whether a user or a wall hanger it does what you need it to do.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.