Thread: Bubinga Outdoor Furniture Set

Bubinga Outdoor Furniture Set

Hello all! I recently found an old bubinga outdoor furniture set, which seems to be one of the only ones out there. I can't find any advice on how to finish it best. We used some bubinga to make a hatch on our sailboat, but I've never had so much of it to work with. I've taken it all apart and sanded it down removing the old varnish, but now at a loss. I read in one forum to use BLO or Tung cut with 25% mineral spirits and apply several coats. I've also been suggested Walrus Oil Wood Wax, which given 6 chairs and a table might be difficult to apply in an already strenuous project. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

There is no good finish for outdoor furniture other than paint. If you want an OK finish, I recommend General Finishes outdoor oil. Just 2 coats. Slap another coat on at least twice a year, or more often if in the sun and you want the set to look pretty.

I mostly agree with Mark. There is no durable clear finish for wood outdoors. You can use an epoxy sealer followed by Epifanes or Total Boat marine varnish, but you will still be looking at spot repair and a maintenance coat every year or two. If you don't, and the finish gets a crack in it. then water will get in and cause blisters, black stains, nothing good.

Short of painting it, you could apply an outdoor stain. It will change the color, but at least you'll be looking at the wood grain and you may find the color attractive. The best outdoor stain I've yet tried is called OneTime. It has no oil of any kind in it, which is a good thing in my experience. Organic oils products like you proposed don't last. Worse, they often attract mold and leave your project a black mess. OneTime is a 100% acrylic resin product that cures by UV light (sunshine). It comes in several colors. Check it out.

John