Thread: Safety Glasses

Safety Glasses

New to laser engraving I have a new diode laser 20watt 455nm output and I need a pair of safety glasses or goggles to fit over my glasses any suggestion would be aappreciated?

I am not sure what I am finding on amazon is really providing the protection they claim. My understanding is I need yellow or orange lens for a diode laser it came with green glasses.

thanks in advance for advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baxter View Post
    New to laser engraving I have a new diode laser 20watt 455nm output and I need a pair of safety glasses or goggles to fit over my glasses any suggestion would be aappreciated?

I am not sure what I am finding on amazon is really providing the protection they claim. My understanding is I need yellow or orange lens for a diode laser it came with green glasses.

My new 10 watt is coming with amber shield around diode output. My other older one I had to build amber shields for around to keep my dogs from viewing the blue light.

I hesitated to reply as the last advice I gave... well you can read the results below. That user is on my very short list.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I certainly can't tell you whether the glasses you're looking at are providing proper protection.
    I would suggest buying a pair from a reputable site that specializes in safety glasses. I can't stress how important it is to protect your vision.

These links might help you decide, just as a place to start.
    https://lasersafety.com/resources/how-to-select/
    https://www.phillips-safety.com/2013...afety-glasses/
    https://lasersafetyindustries.com/bl...safety-glasses

New to laser engraving I have a new diode laser 20watt 455nm output and I need a pair of safety glasses or goggles to fit over my glasses any suggestion would be appreciated?

These folks deal with the type of diode lasers we have everyday and have been for years and years. https://jtechphotonics.com/?product=...r-445nm-lasers, I have purchased from them in the past and found them honest and fair and will not rip you off. Added: They test the ones they sell.
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-29-2022 at 7:51 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thanks for the sources I think I can get better peace of mind buying from one of these than the ones that came with the laser

At least you can find a brand and style you like, and then maybe find it for a lower price next time you need a pair.

GOOD laser eye-protection glasses will have their specs engraved on the lenses, like my glasses for my fiber lasers-- and note the specs on each lens are different...
    laserglasses.jpg

per a website I just checked:
    Right lens typically shows wavelengths covered, Optical densities OD and Visible Light Transmission.
    Left lens typically shows L Rating (damage threshold) Specifications and corresponding wavelengths
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks Kev, good to know