Thread: Touch up conversion varnish

Touch up conversion varnish

I am subbing out the finishing of a bunch of cherry cabinet doors, face frames, decorative end panels etc. The finisher will use Gemini solvent-based post cat conversion varnish. I know CV doesn't burn in like lacquer so touch up will be hard. There are two 84"x 24" x 27" pantry cabinets that will have one finished end panel that will be joined to the face frame by a lock miter. Since the cabinets will be sprayed at his shop unassembled, I need to figure out how to approach the lock miter. Even with the lock miter I usually have to do some amount of sanding of the joint to get the outside corner to look good. Seems like I have two options

1- Spray the end panel and face frame separately and then glue up the joint on site and hope the joint looks good without sanding but if has to be sanded, try to touch up the CV with a brush.

2- Before finishing, glue the face frame to the end panel and sand/fill as needed to get the joint looking good and then transport the assembly to the finisher and hope the joint doesn't get broken during transport/spraying. I suppose I could add some temporary supports to the panel and face frame to avoid stressing the joint.

Thanks for any suggestions!

With a picky joint like that, I think you are almost forced into option number two if you truly want the joint to appear perfect. Make some temporary reinforcement blocks you can install inside the the glued up assembly to support it during transport and finishing. Use screws (regular or pocket as appropriate) to fasten the supporting blocks so they are easily removable when you transition to final installation.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

2 for 2.
    Doing the very same thing on current project, and have done so repeatedly over the years, but I do the finishing, so straining the joint or face frame is not as big a concern. Based on the transport factor, I would add a brace as well.

jeff

Thanks Jim and Jeff.!