Thread: grain direction

grain direction

for the back of a roughly 48"x48" cabinet -- glass front/shelves -- is it more traditional to run the grain vertically or horizontally? Wife said vertically but then she became undecided...and then asked me "what is standard".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob C

I would run grain up and down. Interesting to see what others think.

Vertically and attached with wood movement considered if done with solid stock...typically shiplap with spacing and a single fastener top and bottom on the centerline of each piece used to construct the back.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

+3 Vertically.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Vertical it is
    Bob C

Yeah ,grain vertical. Learned that as a kid watching ‘Westerns’ . “Reach for the Sky”. It saved lives ! Remember the horizontal stripes on
    Mash (TV show) Korean made suits? We all laughed at them.

IMG_0064.jpgSlats in the back of my desk are not visible from the front. One can be left out to allow power to get thru and the desk pushed flat against the wall despite plug protruding from the outlet.

I like that curved top!!
    Bob C

another vote for vertical

The curved top is not really the top, just an intermediate stage of construction.

Desk 3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    The curved top is not really the top, just an intermediate stage of construction.

Desk 3.jpg
    Love the design of that desk!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

If you look at it from a historical perspective, the top center panel would run horizontally, since there was no good way to glue for width, and tho large, trees were not that large.

Or, you may let the panel stock on hand decide what to do.

That leaves the two squarish panels that could be run either way. I use a quarter for such decisions.

Once you make it however you make it, people will look at it to determine the 'standard.'
    I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    - Kurt Vonnegut