Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow in TN

Snow in TN

Growing up in PA I can empathize with those experiencing the excessive snow around the country now - I remember opening the front door to a wall of snow, the school actually canceled when the busses couldn’t run, and helping our dad dig the car out of over 3’ of snow.

Our snow today might seem pretty lame! Snow here is not exactly common and when it comes it’s rarely much and not around for long. We did get a little snow starting late yesterday afternoon, very fine, almost a mist. But enough to cover everything by morning, less than 1” total. All gone, of course, by late morning.

This picture might be a bit unusual. My free-ranging flock of about 15 guineas wandered up past the chicken house, not at all out of character for guineas who have the run of the place. But I thought some of the tracks on the driveway were interesting:

B87A755F-1851-4E75-8579-8433298D8D41.jpg

A friend not far from here got 3-4”, enough to make getting off the hills dangerous and keep people from going to work. I’ll bet that makes some laugh! (but many areas around here don’t have what it takes to handle snow and almost no one has snow tires)

How is the snow outside your door?

JKJ

We have a couple of inches on the ground, but that's it. We had plenty of cold wind over the weekend but not much snow to go with it thankfully!

Saturday, 12/17/22 we drove to Butte, MT. Sunday we drove to West Yellowstone, MT via Bozeman, MT where we met up with 3 grandkids and a DIL. In West Yellowstone, MT it snowed every night to some small or larger amount. We had guided tours of YNP on Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday in a snowstorm we took the Old Faithful trip. That evening we got 12" of snow on top of the couple feet that was already on the ground and roads. In all fairness, they do groom the snow to smooth it out for snowmobiles and the snow coaches using equipment similar to the groomers used on ski runs. Wednesday we took the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone tour. The new 12" of snow made it interesting for the driver/guide but we saw all the major sights on that tour. That night the temperature dropped to an official -38º F with a wind chill of -67º F. My 2014 Honda Pilot had the original battery in it and refused to start Thursday morning even though I had warmed the car up the previous evening. The maintenance guys at the lodge we were in, jumped it twice with no success. They called a local auto service place who towed it to their heated garage, removed and tested the old battery, acquired and installed a new battery. The total charge was $254 which I thought was reasonable considering where I was and the conditions. Driving home on Friday the roads were hard packed snow until we got to Missoula. The next morning it was a thick sheet of treacherous ice until we got to the top of Lolo Pass on US-12. God as my witness, at the sign stating "Welcome to the State of Idaho" where the roads became bare and/or wet. It was like someone had drawn the state line on the highway. I was truly amazed! It's winter in the mountains. BTW, I have two sets of chains in my Pilot in the rear storage area and they reside there. And yes, I have test fitted them in good weather on floor of our carport. I take winter driving seriously!

mr2.jpg mr1.jpg

Here's the view outside our hotel room.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-28-2022 at 2:24 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Also growing up in PA, I understand completely.
    I live in the valley below the Sierras, I got lots of rain, I can look up at the mountains and see the snow they got, but I don't have to deal with it.

I remember positively arctic storms here in central PA in the winters of the mid 1960's in central PA. Almost every family but mine had a snowmobile and careened wildly around town all night long on the machines. With the exception of an infrequent blizzard winters have certainly been less cold and snowy I think it was the year before last, we had only 6 inches total of snow the whole winter. (I have banana trees growing in the yard and I am told there is a guy 40 miles south who grows olives in a small grove on a southern facing hill., things unimaginable 60 years ago.) But despite that, the back hoe loader is fueled up and ready and the Mahindra 55 hp tractor has FEL and rear scraper blade attached, in readiness for "snowmageddon." So far this season, we had about a half inch of slush.

I was living in Miami Florida in January 1978 and saw flurries. There were traffic jams of people racing wildly to the parts of miami where snow flakes had been sighted. I was living in Washington DC for the October 11, 1987 snow storm that brought 8 inches of snow and ripped the still leafed branches off the trees.

I saw a brief report, I think it was on the Weather Channel, that there were snow flurries in Miami, Fla. Wonder if that is a first.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Growing up in NE PA, I experienced a lot of snow including a 54" blizzard when I was quite young. I'm thankful that I live in SE PA now...I'm not fond of the cold nor am I fond of snow, but at least I know how to drive on it. In this area, we've been getting maybe a foot total for a year, or maybe slightly more, but with individual snow events only being small accumulations that go away. We've only have one really bad "shut everything down for days" storm in this area that I can remember since moving to this area in 1979. That was about 30"...in March...maybe 10 year ago or so. I don't recall the actual year.

But in the vein of this thread, when I see on the news that places like Arkansas and other southern areas are getting snow, it's truly interesting and certainly a more unusual event. I suspect we'll see more radical storms and weather events as time goes on as an unfortunate "feature" of climate change. Buckle up...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ski resort 75 miles east of me has 14' this season. More then the total for last season. AMybe out drought years will be over.
    Bill D

During the years 1976 through 1985, we lived in Johannesburg, South Africa. One year, in June (southern hemisphere) we got a few inches of snow.
    Nothing to me, I'm a Canuck. But my, the drivers on the roads there.... Let's say, comical.
    Here, in Vancouver this year (yes, Doug, in New Westminster too), we had 2 major snowfalls so far this year. Chaotic-a.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I grew up in Southern Ontario where it was not uncommon to have snow on the ground continuously from mid December to mid March. Here on the Wet Coast, Metro Vancouver snow rarely last very long. Last week we got about 16" of snow and then it turned mild on Christmas Eve, it is literally all gone except a few piles in parking lots where the plows piled it up. I know how to drive in snow but avoid it as much as possible now because of the comedians Aaron referred to. Being retired helps.

Snow is traditional here, but gradually becoming less dependable - later freeze-up, more mixed precipitation and trending lower snowfall totals. This year is following the pattern - first measurable snowfall Dec. 17 of 6", then up to 45*F on the 24th with heavy rain followed by 4" of snow, 10*F and bitter wind. Global weirding for sure. At least we don't expect to become ocean frontage soon.

This picture was taken yesterday near Birchwood, TN. There was maybe 1/8” of snow at the time.
    36C83F3D-CEF6-4CC2-93AE-D3545A2061F9.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Growing up in NE PA, I experienced a lot of snow including a 54" blizzard when I was quite young. I'm thankful that I live in SE PA now...I'm not fond of the cold nor am I fond of snow, but at least I know how to drive on it. In this area, we've been getting maybe a foot total for a year, or maybe slightly more, but with individual snow events only being small accumulations that go away. We've only have one really bad "shut everything down for days" storm in this area that I can remember since moving to this area in 1979. That was about 30"...in March...maybe 10 year ago or so. I don't recall the actual year.
    I think it was the mid '90s, 1995-1997ish. I recall a 16" storm followed by 10" a couple weeks later. This part of the world that's a Snowmaggedon. Growing up in Wisconsin there was a stretch during the mid '60s where the daytime highs were -20F, overnight lows -35F or so. That lasted close to a week as I remember.

Blog Entries
    I live in NW PA and have been here for over 45 years. We've had plenty of snow during that period of time. We average over 90 inches of snow per season. Sometimes we get most of it at once. Right now we have almost 2" on the ground and we are 90 miles from Buffalo. We could see the band of lake effect snow that was pounding Buffalo. It was a wall of clouds out in the middle of the lake. We do get lake effect snow where my house is and it can accumulate several inches per hour. Five years ago on Christmas Eve We received 60" of snow over night. You just deal with it if you have to go out. If you don't need to go out in it you don't. We've had snow in Erie County PA every month except July.

My trusty snow blower is ready to go.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I think it was the mid '90s, 1995-1997ish. I recall a 16" storm followed by 10" a couple weeks later. This part of the world that's a Snowmaggedon. Growing up in Wisconsin there was a stretch during the mid '60s where the daytime highs were -20F, overnight lows -35F or so. That lasted close to a week as I remember.
    The one I'm citing was much more recent...we were already in Buckingham and it was a number of years after we adopted our girls in 2005. Rt 413 was completely closed with about 30" of snow. I had to clear 400' of driveway one bucket at a time with the Big Orange Power Tool once it stopped and it was days before the road was open after that. It was a March Nor'easter that really hit hard!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...