Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool dealers that do not charge sales tax

Depending on who you are buying from, they may be a tax-exempt dealer. For example, if a dealer sells from a state that does not collect sales tax to a state that has exemptions for that category based on low volume or type of product or also does not collect sales tax. It seems that would be hard to find, so it's likely anyone you are buying from is just not paying the required taxes. If you receive goods from a dealer and they don't charge you sales tax/remit taxes to your state, and your state requires it, you should pay the use tax. Typically sales/use taxes are interchangeable. I'm not tax attorney, but the point is, someone has to pay the tax in most cases.

People also cross the Oregon/Washington border to purchase goods sales tax free to take back to Washington.

Are you tax exempt? That’s the only legal way I know to avoid paying sales tax, at least in TN.

I have an ag tax exemption and don’t pay sales tax on things I can justify as related to farming. Feed, supplies, fertilizer and fuel of course are not taxed, but also equipment and tools related to maintaining the equipment, land, or livestock (including beekeeping). This can make a significant difference in the cost of big equipment and attachments. Retailers like Home Depot and Lowes honor the exemption (after registering the credentials).

Even Amazon provides a way to let me apply or remove sales tax per item as I decide appropriate. I assume some day I may have to explain my justifications to the state but I have no problem with that. For everything unrelated to the farm I pay TN sales tax, even if purchased and shipped from out of state. I don’t mind paying sales tax; it helps that TN is one of the nine in the US with no state income tax!

BTW to qualify for agriculture tax exemption in TN the farm has to be registered and you have to show a certain level of profit. I have no idea what it takes to qualify for other types of exemption.

Oh, off topic but if you have enough land and trees you might qualify for another type of tax break - the county Forestry Greenbelt program can cut annual property taxes to about half. A lot of people don’t know about this. I don’t know if it’s everywhere or just here but could be worth checking into!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schussheim View Post
    Looking for recommendations on internet retailers in United States that sell tools online and do not charge sales tax. I know of a few Festool dealers who fit this criteria, however, I'd like to hear about others that sell the Big Corporate brands (dewalt, makita, milwaukee, et cetera).

Thank you and have a blessed New Year

In Oregon my brothers farm came as a registered farm with lower property taxes. If he wanted to sell it for non farm use he had to let the state know and wait something like ten years as the taxes increased.
    Bill D

Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon do not charge sales tax.
    Do military PX's charge sales tax?
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    In Oregon my brothers farm came as a registered farm with lower property taxes. If he wanted to sell it for non farm use he had to let the state know and wait something like ten years as the taxes increased.
    Bill D
    Typically you can subdivide, develop, or sell any time and simply pay back taxes. For example of I decided to develop my forest land and give up the greenbelt status I would have to pay three years of back taxes.

My understanding is Oregon set it up so there was no way for a developer to buy a farm and quickly build on it. The law forces them to invest for ten years and pay higher taxes and a penalty tax before they can turn one shovel of dirt. Very few developers are in it for the long haul or have the extra cash to invest for long term gains.
    BilL D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon do not charge sales tax.
    Do military PX's charge sales tax?
    Bill D.
    The Army/Air Force Exchange and Navy Exchange do not charge sales tax. To shop at a military exchange, you must be active duty, retired or veteran. (They recently opened up exchanges to veterans due to declining sales.)

Although they carry small power tools, I've never seen any large power tools at an exchange.

Here's a link to the web site: https://www.shopmyexchange.com/