Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building passage doors (batch 4)....

Building passage doors (batch 4)....

eryone,

Some of you may remember we built our house 8-9 years ago and I did a lot of work myself (documented here) including building 31 interior doors out of Maple. The following 3 threads from 2013-14 are for those builds:

https://sawmillcreek.org//showthread...ors&highlight=
    https://sawmillcreek.org//showthread...ors&highlight=
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ors&highlight=

I have decided to finish our basement and am doing most of the work again myself. Will add some photos to the original thread of house build but for now I am doing another batch of passage doors for basement: 12 doors this time. I am lucky to have Festool Domino 700 this time which makes the joinery a lot easier. Here are some photos.
    First the pile of 8/4 Maple and some sheet goods for panels and other stuff to be built later.

d1.jpg

Then dressing them and getting the pieces ready:

d2.jpgd3.jpgd4.jpg

Then dressing them and getting the pieces ready:

d6.jpg

My body doesn't have the same strength as before, so am using the power feeder to push through the boards for making the 3/4" wide dado for the panels.
    d7.jpgd8.jpgd9.jpg

Today I managed to glue up 4 doors yesterday and today. After the glue up will have to mill trims and then make the various holes for hinges and lockset and then make the jambs.

d10.jpg

That's a nice shop Sir! Look forward to seeing more of this build.

What are you using for the panels in the doors?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Today I managed to glue up 4 doors yesterday and today. After the glue up will have to mill trims and then make the various holes for hinges and lockset and then make the jambs.

d10.jpg
    ambitious project. They look like they will sound nice when opened/closed...not light like todays doors.....nice clean work! Happy Holiday

Very impressive! I second Joe's comment that I bet these "feel" pretty great to close.

Really nice that you can continue your fine work for the additional space!! And yes, the Domino 700 is a wonderful tool for this...the 14mm tenons are pretty stout.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks everyone. The doors are 1 3/4" thick with 3/4" sheet panels. They do make a satisfying sound when closing and work well in sound proofing too. The only downside is they are heavy and can snap a few fingers if they get caught!

Mreza, i remember the build thread very well, but am surprised it was 8-9 years ago . . . i would have thought maybe 3-4 at the most. Looking forward to this one too. Best, Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Mreza, i remember the build thread very well, but am surprised it was 8-9 years ago . . . i would have thought maybe 3-4 at the most. Looking forward to this one too. Best, Patrick
    Thanks. Yeah time flies, doesn't it? I started the first batch of doors in 2013....

Here is an update. I wasn't able to work on these for a few weeks but back at them. Doors are all glued up. Then made a whole bunch of trim moulding for them and more. Extras will be used elsewhere for some panels on the walls.

20230121_144726.jpg

i have sanded 10 out of 12 doors and installed the trims. Jambs are also built and ready. Hopefully will start hanging them next week.

20230122_134144.jpg20230131_121627.jpg

Those are beautiful doors, mreza!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looking great Mo, nice to see you back around!

B

Do you have a standard width you use for stile and rails? I have limited door building experience and kind of just went with what I thought looked good and would support the hardware.
    Also, for interior doors, was 1-3/4 just what you prefer vs 1-3/8? I suppose a 1/2” dado and panel for 1-3/8 doors?

Really like following your progress. Doors look great!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Lazz View Post
    Do you have a standard width you use for stile and rails? I have limited door building experience and kind of just went with what I thought looked good and would support the hardware.
    Also, for interior doors, was 1-3/4 just what you prefer vs 1-3/8? I suppose a 1/2” dado and panel for 1-3/8 doors?

Really like following your progress. Doors look great!
    Thanks Nick. The width I have for rails/stiles is something I came at myself. The stiles and top rail are 5.25", middle rail is 6.5", and the bottom rail is 8.25".
    With these numbers the 36" (from the bottom) for door handle will be right at the middle of the middle rail, also the 2 3/4" spacing from the edge for the handle is (almost) middle of the stile as well. And the aspect ratios seemed good to me.
    I start from 8/4 material and by the time joining/planing is done I'm slightly under 1 3/4" (between 1 5/8" or 1 11/16"). I have 3/4" dado for panels, so about 1/2" (or 7/16") for the trim moulding.

Doors are all done and hung, trims installed. These photos are from last night (I have not finished installing door stops which are not shown in the photos).

d11.jpgd12.jpgd13.jpgd14.jpgd15.jpg