Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building passage doors (batch 4)....

Looks good ! Give us an update, is that the same house ? Or the second one?

Thanks Mel. Same house, finishing the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Today I managed to glue up 4 doors yesterday and today. After the glue up will have to mill trims and then make the various holes for hinges and lockset and then make the jambs.

Attachment 492236
    Very nice. I am contemplating building doors myself as I start on remodeling our 20+ year old house. The doors the builder used are not complete crap but only a step or so above. I have a question though as I have never built normal doors before. Is that small tenon on the rails along with the dominos enough to handle heavy day to day abuse by kids shortly becoming teenagers? My original thought was I was going to have to build long tenons to do something like this and that would be a lot of work vs what you are doing here. Of course it means I would need to buy the larger domino to compliment my smaller one

They look outstanding, Mreza!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fairbanks View Post
    Very nice. I am contemplating building doors myself as I start on remodeling our 20+ year old house. The doors the builder used are not complete crap but only a step or so above. I have a question though as I have never built normal doors before. Is that small tenon on the rails along with the dominos enough to handle heavy day to day abuse by kids shortly becoming teenagers? My original thought was I was going to have to build long tenons to do something like this and that would be a lot of work vs what you are doing here. Of course it means I would need to buy the larger domino to compliment my smaller one
    Thanks Chris. The previous 31 doors I made (for the rest of the house) I used 1/2" dowels (didn't have domino at the time). I had 15 dowels on each side of the door (30 per doors). With panels being glued that's way more than strong enough. The home made dominos I am using are strong enough to hold the door together with the glued panels. I really don't need those little tenons at the end of the rails it's just easier to have them because the stiles have a 3/4" groove to receive the panels. So better/easier to have those small tenons at the end of the rails as well.
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 02-16-2023 at 2:04 PM.

Awesome job 👍🏽

Looks nice. How do you like the power feeder on your jointer? I was thinking about this but I thought it would be a lot of adjustment since the board is thinner every pass.