Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rethinking Shop Layout

Question Rethinking Shop Layout

Hi all-
    I'm not entirely sure what I hope to get out of this thread, but this is such a great group that I figure I might get helpful input even without a well-formulated question.

The issue is simple - smallish, over-crowded shop. Space is about 20x13 but shared with water heater and general storage in unfinished basement. Effectively it's more like 15x13.

The bigger problem is that it evolved over time with a mix of legacy tables, desk, shelves, benches. I've watched lots of shop layout youtube videos, read several books and articles on the subject, etc. One thing that has become very clear is that too much space is wasted on things that don't hold tools - an old desk that is too small for tools but does have a hodge podge of Ikea drawers under it, two freestanding shelf units for storage of shop stuff, a chest freezer that kills a lot of wall space. I have an old Sears metal workbench that I use for non-wood working repairs, electronics, etc and a big 40 x 48 (or maybe bigger) Rockler metal framed table that is my primary work bench.

I have pegboard on all of the available wall space, but I'm trying to switch part of that to cabinet storage. I'm trying to replace the desk with a longer, deeper counter big enough for my miter saw and possibly my bench top jointer (which currently has to be pulled out from a low shelf), but that will require cutting a book case in half, hanging part of it, and finding room for the stuff there now.

It feels like one of those puzzles where you have to keep moving all the tiles around to change anything. What's clear is too much floor space is unusable due to storage.

Anyway not sure that anyone can help but I'd welcome suggestions of any kind (except the kind I get from my spouse which are usually "throw stuff out").

Some photos attached. A few things have been changed but mostly the photos are current.

PXL_20221224_184107011.jpgPXL_20221224_184114289.jpgPXL_20221224_184148890.MP.jpgAttachment 492183IMG_20200526_123420.jpgIMG_20200526_123343.jpgAttachment 492185PXL_20221224_184207555.jpg
    Last edited by Michael Jasper; 12-24-2022 at 2:13 PM.

Looking at my photos, I think what is clear is that my shop organization and storage is based on "what ikea and target units do I have around that aren't being used?" rather than an actual plan...

I'm not used to a space that small but on first glance I have a some suggestions. It looks like you have 2 miter saws and 2 band saws. I would say you could probably get by with only one of each. And the one full shelf of books that I would personally keep in a non-dust environment like living space somewhere else in the house. In reality you only need one work table that can serve also as an outfeed table for the table saw and can have drawers under it. And if you could possibly find another place (maybe garage) for that chest freezer because it takes up a lot of floor space.

Definitely agree on the miter saw. Just got the sliding one and plan to take out the other one.
    Band saws - you're probably right, although I've found it very convenient to keep the smaller one with a narrow blade installed for quick curve cuts and a rip blade in the other one. But your point is good. Agree on the books too.
    Chest Freezer - alas, I don't have a garage so that's not an option. Possibly replace it with a vertical and sacrifice wall space instead of floor space.
    Thanks for the suggestions and for looking!

My, what a collection! Nice work...

I would consider changing that peg wall to cabinets or sliding panels stacked to move side to side. Increasing storage capacity.

May be time for a spring cleaning of things not used. If it has not been touched in 6 months or a year or in my case maybe ever. Might consider selling.

My two cents, happy holiday season!
    Chris

I agree about the pegboard not being the best use of that space.
    As far as the spring cleaning, are you secretly in league with my wife?
    But I know some thinning out is probably in order.
    Last edited by Michael Jasper; 12-24-2022 at 4:53 PM.

My .02:

- put books in the house
    - raise chopsaw above worktable height
    - make upper shelves deeper to gain storage
    - planes & squares take up too much real estate
    - develop space above freezer
    - add lighting above chopsaw/router table area
    - cover ceiling insulation with Tyvek
    - make a new stand with storage for small bandsaw

- Books elsewhere - yes
    - Chopsaw - my plan is to replace the small desk with a long table that will bisect the standing bookcase and put the saw there. In this location:
    PXL_20221224_215315937.jpg

Deeper shelves - hadn't thought about that - would need a different way to mount them as the existing brackets are already pretty big. I suppose I could suspend from ceiling.
    Planes and Squares - actually that photo is out of date - I did improve storage for the squares, but still need to address the planes. And I think I made things worse with the clamps.
    PXL_20221224_215250013.jpgPXL_20221224_215424566.jpg

Other suggestions are good - thanks!

Even with a large shop, workflow and flexibility are very important, but even more-so in a smaller space. Mobility can be essential. Large, fixed position surfaces take up valuable space that might be helpful to have open from time to time. Fixed height surfaces can also be somewhat limiting, especially for assembly. Store away or "coral" tools that are needed from time to time, but are not generally part of your regular, constant workflow. Cabinets up on the wall are nice, but as with shelving like Cameron mentions, deeper can be more useful while still keeping space from the floor up to four or more feet clear. I personally like upper cabinets that are nominally 15" deep, which gets you about 14" of space. "Traditional" 12" deep shelves and cabinets limit what you can put in them a whole bunch, whether it's in your kitchen or in your shop. Etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a chopsaw up on blocks which eliminates the need for a clear counter/bench space. a stand to one side, and a flip down support in the doorway hold up longer stock.
    Mostly used for utility cuts & I'm not that big on elaborate fence/stopblocks.

IMG_3808.jpg

Oh, that's interesting - hadn't understood the idea of raising the miter saw - now I get it.

Jim- not sure I understand the comment about fixed height surfaces - what is the alternative ? I've been gradually getting tools onto stands with casters to make them mobile - but not sure I get how or why one would make things "not fixed" in height.

Keep the freezer, but build a fold down shelf over it. Only fold shelf down when working in shop, or otherwise it will be loaded when wife needs into freezer. Happy wife, happy life! A solid core door is excellent for this purpose. Can any of your tools be fitted to a flip top cart thus allowing two tools in the space that one now occupies?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jasper View Post
    Jim- not sure I understand the comment about fixed height surfaces - what is the alternative ? I've been gradually getting tools onto stands with casters to make them mobile - but not sure I get how or why one would make things "not fixed" in height.
    I prefer adjustable height work surfaces because they are more flexible for all kinds of applications and can also be easier on one's back. I happen to use Noden's Adjust-A-Bench hardware for a couple of them, but there are many ways to accomplish this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Moving to a new shop, I now have no pegboard, using the walls for shelving. Everything that went on my pegboard is now a tool cabinet (Harbor Freight) with shallow sliding drawers.

Try to clear the walls in the height where workpieces needs space when they are machined. So, high storage or low storage, keep the middle height clean where the wood travel. If you have an assembly table, place the router in that and skip the seperate router table. Get rid of all non needed things. Do you really need 2 bandsaws and 2 miter saws?

My shop is about the same size as yours (15×13 feet equals around 20 square meters) and in my opinion one of the better layouted shops in this size. I put quite some effort and many iterations into this final layout. The "keep the wood travel paths clean"-idea i mentioned above is shown at around 3 minutes. https://youtu.be/9zeXpj8I2Ic
    Last edited by Ola Carmonius; 12-29-2022 at 8:09 AM.