Thread: Couple of new LN spokeshaves for the stable!

Couple of new LN spokeshaves for the stable!

These are the small LN spokeshaves and I got these in 2-3 weeks ago. But, I am just now getting around to playing with them. I honed the blades with a 30* secondary bevel and opened the mouth on the round one just a bit. The flat sole didn't seem to need any tweaking of the mouth.

I previously owned the LV stainless Preston copy, and while it is a nice shave I really think the LN is superior. I am not sure why. I don't own the LV anymore, but I wish I had both the LV and the LN to compare. Perhaps one of you does and if you can discern the difference please post here.

I have both the flat and round Boggs shaves and love them. They are heavily used. But, there are areas on most Windsors where the radius of the Boggs is just a bit too much. I am working on an arm rail for a continuous arm chair at the moment and this little LN round is superb!! The radius is perfect for the job and I have a feeling it is going to work very well on the seat where the side coves are. Those areas are difficult. I have used the flat a bit and it works wonderfully, too.

Very happy with these and if you were on the fence on getting them I can highly recommend you take the leap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left click my name for homepage link.

They are sweet little tools John. You’ll like them. I also picked up a Dave’s Shave LA wooden spokeshave in the classifieds and man that thing cuts like the dickens. I find it much easier to use than either the Veritas or Woodriver versions I have.

I don’t do a near as much hand work as I’d like, but had occasion last week making a batch of ballusters to break out my LN & Boggs spokeshaves. It took a while to get them sharp and set up correctly. Once that was done, well, it is hard to imagine a more gratifying time in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    These are the small LN spokeshaves and I got these in 2-3 weeks ago. But, I am just now getting around to playing with them. I honed the blades with a 30* secondary bevel and opened the mouth on the round one just a bit. The flat sole didn't seem to need any tweaking of the mouth.

I previously owned the LV stainless Preston copy, and while it is a nice shave I really think the LN is superior. I am not sure why. I don't own the LV anymore, but I wish I had both the LV and the LN to compare. Perhaps one of you does and if you can discern the difference please post here.

I have both the flat and round Boggs shaves and love them. They are heavily used. But, there are areas on most Windsors where the radius of the Boggs is just a bit too much. I am working on an arm rail for a continuous arm chair at the moment and this little LN round is superb!! The radius is perfect for the job and I have a feeling it is going to work very well on the seat where the side coves are. Those areas are difficult. I have used the flat a bit and it works wonderfully, too.

Very happy with these and if you were on the fence on getting them I can highly recommend you take the leap.
    John, I got the LN small round bottom spokeshave and it is a gem. I just got the LV Preston cast small spokeshave. I was not happy with it. The sole seemed to
    have a small twist in it. I recall Derek having a problem with his sole which he corrected with a file. I decided to send my back.

preston spokeshave.jpg

Note the black space near the bottom - this is the mouth with is irregular in shape.

preston and lie nielsen spokeshave.jpg

Note machined bed in Lie Neilsen versus cast Preston. The LN is significantly more expensive. Lee Valley is exceptional for customer service and I returned it.

Hmm...quite happy using this one...
    Round-overs, Needs a little sanding .JPG
    Was made by Seymour Smith & Son..
    Round-overs, Seymour Smith & Son .JPG
    Been using this side of it...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    John, I got the LN small round bottom spokeshave and it is a gem. I just got the LV Preston cast small spokeshave. I was not happy with it. The sole seemed to
    have a small twist in it. I recall Derek having a problem with his sole which he corrected with a file. I decided to send my back.
    My LV (Preston) spokeshave required a little fettling to get it to its optimum performance. It is great on fine cuts. For heavier cuts my Stanley #63 is preferred.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Hmm...quite happy using this one...

Was made by Seymour Smith & Son..
    Round-overs, Seymour Smith & Son .JPG
    Been using this side of it...
    2 shaves in one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My LV (Preston) spokeshave required a little fettling to get it to its optimum performance. It is great on fine cuts. For heavier cuts my Stanley #63 is preferred.

jtk
    I was thinking of fettling it but decided not too. It does have a smaller radius than the LN.

Works for me..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post

preston spokeshave.jpg

Note the black space near the bottom - this is the mouth with is irregular in shape.

preston and lie nielsen spokeshave.jpg

Note machined bed in Lie Neilsen versus cast Preston. The LN is significantly more expensive. Lee Valley is exceptional for customer service and I returned it.
    The fix for my LV took minutes only. It was really quite easy. The link to this and my review is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...pokeshave.html

Having noted that this was 10 years ago, I imagine that new ones are unlikely to experience the same issues.

Please note that this spokeshave is not a beginner spokeshave. In fact, it requires a practiced hand. Round bottom spokeshaves are never easy.

Regards from Perth

Derek