Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black MDF In UK?

I’ve never used Valchromat, but from what I understand what Ola said above is correct. Forescolor is a less expensive product that is colored with organic dyes and machines in a similar way to MDF. It’s a neat product, but I wouldn’t pay the premium for it for shop fixtures. It also comes in several different textures geared towards architectural wall panels, accents, modern cabinet doors/drawer fronts, etc… Even the more affordable Forescolor product is way more expensive than MDF

Does anyone else view black as a poor choice in colour for a bench top? Reduced light and poorer visibility. I’ve seen quite a bit of the black Valchromat on YouTube. It appears to be obligatory if you are a presenter. What a surprise.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Does anyone else view black as a poor choice in colour for a bench top? Reduced light and poorer visibility. I’ve seen quite a bit of the black Valchromat on YouTube. It appears to be obligatory if you are a presenter. What a surprise.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I agree, it would not be my first choice of a work surface.

From a photography stand point, however, it's amazing. At least if it's anything that may reflect in the shot.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Try Interlam, D & M Lumber & Atlantic Plywood. Between the 3 they carry 2 brands. Valchromat & Forescolor. Both solid color MDF.

I had enter the above comment a few days ago. in addition to it for those of you south of the 49 parallell, as in the USA. Interlam is selling off their Valchromat "made in Portugal" & appears to be switching to Forescolor "made in South Korea". On their website there is an ONLINE STORE tab. It will redirect you to another site. There is a picture showing Valchromat. when you click on it they show the sizes , color & price. Not all sizes & colors are listed, but "DAMN", I sure wish I could get my hands on some. Up here @ Home Depot a 4 x 8 x 3/4" regular MDF is $90.00 Canadian. The Valchromat from the Online Store for same size is $41.28 US. Not sure where they stock it but they are in Mt. Airy NC. Good luck.

https://www.interlam-design.com/

I've used black valchromat on my assembly table many years before starting my youtubechannel. I find it really pleasing and relaxing to the eyes and workpieces and their details are easily spotted and doesn't "drown" in the bench colour. Prefer the black assembly table over my beech workbench if only taking colour into account. Will choose black also next time.
    Last edited by Ola Carmonius; 02-20-2023 at 6:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Johre View Post
    Try Interlam, D & M Lumber & Atlantic Plywood. Between the 3 they carry 2 brands. Valchromat & Forescolor. Both solid color MDF.

I had enter the above comment a few days ago. in addition to it for those of you south of the 49 parallell, as in the USA. Interlam is selling off their Valchromat "made in Portugal" & appears to be switching to Forescolor "made in South Korea". On their website there is an ONLINE STORE tab. It will redirect you to another site. There is a picture showing Valchromat. when you click on it they show the sizes , color & price. Not all sizes & colors are listed, but "DAMN", I sure wish I could get my hands on some. Up here @ Home Depot a 4 x 8 x 3/4" regular MDF is $90.00 Canadian. The Valchromat from the Online Store for same size is $41.28 US. Not sure where they stock it but they are in Mt. Airy NC. Good luck.

https://www.interlam-design.com/

before anyone gets too excited , Interlam only has one choice of 3/4” material. It’s light brown / taupe and doesn’t look much different than reg mdf. It’s only at the Mt. Airy warehouse and while the price is great , the second you have to have it shipped the savings evaporate.

Blog Entries
    https://store5327024.ecwid.com/Valchromat-c63352011

it's on sale (distributed from NC). I expect w/ LTL shipping to Utah I'm not going to get a good deal : )

But if you are near this place... $30 to $45/ 4x8 sheet is pretty good.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

I live in the Uk and I have never seen black MDF

All of the timber merchants and stores similar to Home depot only sell an off brown colour MDF

So if it is available it is not wildly sold