Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding sliding fence to Incra V120 miter gauge - need small knobs or adjusters

Question Adding sliding fence to Incra V120 miter gauge - need small knobs or adjusters

Hi - I'd like to add a sliding fence to my Incra V120. It's easy enough to do - but there's a bracket as part of the V120 that leaves almost no space around the bolts that would attach to the fence. I can certainly fit nuts but I'm trying to find a way to fit some kind of knob or cam lever that could be adjusted without a wrench.

Wondered if anyone else has done something similar? I've noticed that not all the Incra miter gauges have the bracket in this location.

Thanks!

Picture would help, not sure what is different about the V120. You could use a socket head cap screw and attach an Allen wrench with a magnet to the miter gage so it's always handy.

Hi - Here's a photo - you can see the slot where you'd put a bolt to attach a fence has very little free space around it. Magnet with allen wrench and socket head screw is probably a decent solution.
    86N6012-incra-v120-miter-gauge-f-79.jpg

Are you attempting to attach an INCRA fence?

On my table saw, I run a 3/4 year old INCRA 1000SE with an INCRA 18-31" telescoping fence. I attached the sliding fence via: https://incra.com/jig_fixture-build-...het_knobs.html

From looking at my 1000SE and the catalogue pictures of the INCRA 1000SE and V120, the ratchet knobs are required to an INCRA sliding fence to the V120.

If in doubt about attaching an INCRA fence or another type of fence, call INCRA:

Customer Service: 1-972-242-9975 (8:30am - 5pm CT)
    Toll Free Product Technical Support: 1-888-804-6272
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 12-22-2022 at 3:41 PM.

Looks to me like any small knob would be hard on your fingers in that tight space. Why not just use a T bolt in a routed T slot on the wood, with a nut on the back side, and keep a nut driver handy. You probably won't need it very often.

T-slot router bits are really handy for me, and I have a bunch of fence facings for various tools, router tables, RAS, miter gages, etc.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Have you seen Woodpeckers fence for mitre gauges? Seems like an inexpensive (strange saying that for Woodpeckers) workable solution.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_glkKhwW3U8&t=5s

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Are you attempting to attach an INCRA fence?

On my table saw, I run a 3/4 year old INCRA 1000SE with an INCRA 18-31" telescoping fence. I attached the sliding fence via: https://incra.com/jig_fixture-build-...het_knobs.html

From looking at my 1000SE and the catalogue pictures of the INCRA 1000SE and V120, the ratchet knobs are required to an INCRA sliding fence to the V120.

If in doubt about attaching an INCRA fence or another type of fence, call INCRA:

Customer Service: 1-972-242-9975 (8:30am - 5pm CT)
    Toll Free Product Technical Support: 1-888-804-6272
    McMaster Carr has knobs like that. Brian

Yeah I can definitely do Tbolts and nut - just trying to figure out a way to do it with knobs. But you're right, probably won't need to change it that often.
    Just saw this on another gauge. I suppose I could add something in between the fence and the gauge that extends just beyond the bracket and put the knobs in that - but of course that will push the fence out farther and I'm using a Dewalt jobsite saw that doesn't have a lot of infeed space.
    Screenshot 2022-12-22 155150.jpg

Edit and Final Solution: This photo and the Woodpecker fence that Johnny Barr linked brought me to the solution - I created an "interface board" (to quote Woodpecker) between the gauge and the fence which gave me the room for the knobs. Done!
    Thanks all.
    Last edited by Michael Jasper; 12-23-2022 at 1:24 AM. Reason: Added solution

I bought an extruded aluminum fence with universal T-Track from Powertec - inexpensive and solid, with a scale on top.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YPS55XD...t_details&th=1

Did you say Woodpecker and inexpensive in the same sentence? I must have misread that.
    I've kind of stopped buying the W stuff - some of it is very good, but I think it's largely overpriced and I find the scales on red aluminum difficult to read quickly.
    Last edited by Michael Jasper; 12-22-2022 at 4:19 PM. Reason: Added link to product

The incra knobs look good - and reasonably priced!

Wow - the Woodpecker fence is actually not insanely over-priced! With the stops, it's actually not much more than the Powertec. How is that possible? Did a rip in space time open up and transport me to a universe where Woodpecker products are priced reasonably?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jasper View Post
    Wow - the Woodpecker fence is actually not insanely over-priced! With the stops, it's actually not much more than the Powertec. How is that possible? Did a rip in space time open up and transport me to a universe where Woodpecker products are priced reasonably?
    I was using something similar to the Powertec on my Incra V120 gauge which worked well until I saw the Woodpecker fence and fell off my seat when I saw the price so instantly ordered. I really like those stop blocks. Shipping is from the 31st so there isn't the usual long wait. I'll post a photo when I get it!
    Last edited by Johnny Barr; 12-23-2022 at 8:37 PM.

Let me know what you think when you get it in place!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Barr View Post
    I was using something similar to the Powertec on my Incra V120 gauge which worked well until I saw the Woodpecker fence and fell off my seat when I saw the price so instantly ordered. I really like those stop blocks. Shipping is from the 31st so there isn't the usual long wait. I'll post a photo when I get it!
    Arrived a week ago and for an unbelievably low cost item from Woodpeckers, it works well. The first thing I did was check that the fence was straight and then made an interface board to fit the V120. I was surprised how light the fence is and I'm hoping it keeps its shape over time. The micro adjustable stops are its best feature. I was concerned that these might deflect a bit but they are rock solid and I love the way they just snap into the fence when not in use. My only gripe is that its not practical to attach a tape measure as the only place it can go requires you to lean over the fence to read it which isn't a good idea. I bought the zero clearance blocks as they were inexpensive. I can't believe I'm saying that about a Woodpeckers product. I know they're easy to make but this time I felt lazy.

Highly recommended for those that have a basic mitre gauge or even a better mitre gauge like the V120 and want to take it to a new level.

1.jpg 2.jpg
    Last edited by Johnny Barr; 01-21-2023 at 12:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    Just in case it helps others. I have used Rockler's small round knobs and have put "L" knob caps on socket head screws. Both seem to work fine.

incra knobs.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler