Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hide Glue in Your Cupbord?

Blog Entries

Hide Glue in Your Cupbord?

Though it may be mixed with sugar and food coloring.

Gummy bears and gummy worms were used to make a hide glue and it seems to work.

It is the subject of two posts, first the trial:

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2022/1...e-gas-station/

Followed by the result:

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2022/1...mmy-bear-glue/

Looks like it might be a way to come up with a little glue for the shop. Stores still sell gelatin like Knox Gelatin. I used to have a neighbor who mixed it up as a drink to make her nails stronger. Not sure if it worked, but this was back in the 1950s.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I admit this is really intriguing, but I can’t help but think - “is it only body heat and the moisture in the innards that keeps one from getting an horrendous case of constipation????”

Granular hide glue is pretty cheap, so I will probably stick with that. I’m afraid my grandkids would quickly consume my “gummies” if I switch!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Blog Entries
    Gummy bears sound like a much tastier place to start than fish skin. One of my bow making books tells about a Native American glue recipe that starts with the chewing of a mouthful of Sturgeon body parts for a day or two. It was considered a big honor and the Tribe Matriarch was responsible for teaching the youngsters to make fish glue.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I read these too, and grabbed a couple of packets of Knox gelatin at the store to try to make liquid glue with (water, gelatin, salt). I don’t think it’ll be cheap enough to make it worth a wholesale switch, but good to know in a pinch if it works, plus a fun experiment. I’ll report back with results.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Granular hide glue is pretty cheap, so I will probably stick with that. I’m afraid my grandkids would quickly consume my “gummies” if I switch!
    Save money by giving them the granular glue to chew on! "Grandpa's candy taste awful!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hill View Post
    Save money by giving them the granular glue to chew on! "Grandpa's candy taste awful!"
    Chuck, all I gotta do is throw in a bit of sugar and it should be fine!!

Blog Entries
    I admit this is really intriguing, but I can’t help but think - “is it only body heat and the moisture in the innards that keeps one from getting an horrendous case of constipation????”

If you have Amazon Prime, this may be cheaper if it is all you need > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IE65OI4...pa_dk_detail_1

If you purchase 5 pounds, it is a bit cheaper.

The big difference is with commercial hide glue there is going to be a strength rating, the food grade gelatin will not have such a rating.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Granular hide glue is pretty cheap, so I will probably stick with that. I’m afraid my grandkids would quickly consume my “gummies” if I switch![/QUOTE] John Keeton

A couple of old timers I worked with would only use real hide glue bought in flakes . Not the ground up kind. Like wine-0’s ,they wanted to
    see the clarity. But the rabbit glue clearly has the best clarity. Was bought in sheets that looked like textured plastic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    John Keeton

A couple of old timers I worked with would only use real hide glue bought in flakes . Not the ground up kind. Like wine-0’s ,they wanted to
    see the clarity. But the rabbit glue clearly has the best clarity. Was bought in sheets that looked like textured plastic.[/QUOTE]

Rabbit skin glue is used (or used to be) by people doing gold leaf on many non-glass surfaces. On glass a gelitan capsule was melted in hot water. That would be enough to hold it on glass.

I believe rabbit skin glue is also used on glass to cause it to chip. When the glue shrinks it pulls off hunks of glass. Years ago you might see this at a bank counter.

jtk

I’ve thought about trying hide glue on pinned M&T joinery. Thanks for the reminder.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If you have Amazon Prime, this may be cheaper if it is all you need > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IE65OI4...pa_dk_detail_1

If you purchase 5 pounds, it is a bit cheaper.

The big difference is with commercial hide glue there is going to be a strength rating, the food grade gelatin will not have such a rating.

jtk
    Jim, I pay about $19 shipped for 192 granular hide glue. I can get about 16-17 chairs out of a pound.

I've experimented with avocado as a glue. The genesis of the idea was trying to get dried avocado off dishes and utensils. I build string instruments and of course work with hot hide glue. The avocado experiment was pretty successful, though tongue-in-cheek.

Jim, I pay about $19 shipped for 192 granular hide glue. I can get about 16-17 chairs out of a pound.
    I understand that hide glue is the historically accurate sticky stuff for chairs but in retrospect I’ve repaired a whole bunch of antique chairs where the glue dried out and the joints let go. The solution was always to disassemble, scrape, and reglue with PVA. Is there an advantage to hide glue other than historical accuracy and a generous open time?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I think the only things really requiring hide glue are music instruments. Especially the bowed instruments. They say the makers would
    glue the backs on with strong glue and the tops with weaker glue. Bowed instruments are usually opened at top ,not back, when needing
    improvement while being tested by the maker ,or for repair.

Blog Entries
    Another update from LAP on the gummy glue > https://blog.lostartpress.com/2022/1...m-glue-update/

jtk