Thread: 12 Days of Metric

12 Days of Metric

I think there are a few measurement and science geeks here...

Here's a seasonal blog post from NIST (national institute of standards and technology) about metric measurements and standards. It includes a short video about how they calibrate tape measures in a 60 meter long underground tunnel.

https://www.nist.gov/blogs/taking-me...ve-days-metric
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Shouldn’t that be the ten days of metric?
    Last edited by John Stankus; 12-21-2022 at 9:12 PM. Reason: Dang spellcheck

After my son got his PhD in physics, he did a post-doc at NIST in the Joint Quantum Institute. Most fun he ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    Brilliant!!! Exactly what I was thinking.

I work with metric every day. For woodworking I prefer imperial…

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Why not stay with the system you have used all your life? One buys gas by the gallon here in the USA. I go to the store and by milk by the gallon not 3 liters or what ever. If you want to work in tens like metric why not switch to decimals. If you have a quarter in your pocket, you have the equivalent if 25 pennies. Written out it would be .25. When I grew up we also had 50 cent pieces which was the same as a half dollar. It isn't rocket science to figure out that if you have 2 quarters you have a half a dollar and if you have a half a dollar and a quarter you have 3 quarters or 75 cents. If you have you have .75 and add a zero you get .750 and not you are working in thousands of an inch. If you add .750 and .500 ( or 5 quarters) in you head you have $1.250 or one dollar and 25 cents.

One inch being 1000 pennies or 10 dollars. I say thousands because my mother gave my sister and I a quarter and said we could go to the store and buy what ever but we had to split the quarter which came to 12 and 1/2 cents (written out .125 which is 1/8th of a dollar) Since we couldn't split a penny, We flipped for it.

1/64th is .0156 or rounded off 015
    1/32th is .0312 or rounded off.030
    1/16th is.0625 or rounded off .060 or .062
    1/8th is .125 rounded off is .120 but I never round of an 1/8th.

So if you add 1/8th ( .125 ) and 1/16 (.062) you get .187 ( .1875 if you are using a micrometer) you get 1/16ths.

Lets take 3/8ths. 1+1+1 =3 and 25+25+25 = 75 so 38ths equal .375

3/8ths and 3/8ths is 3/4s and with a little work and memorization one can be doing all this in there head.

Why muddy the water with metric?
    Tom

I find metric much easier to use. When I travel in Europe, or anywhere they use metric, I switch pretty quickly.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Tom,
    I agree with you that thousandths are much easier than fractions. But for woodworking, i have an easier time visualizing 9/16 as opposed to the same in millimeters. That said, I think it's inevitable that we will go to metric. Most big companies are doing it now. Reasons why to muddy the water would be:
    1. One set of wrenches instead of two.
    2. One set of nuts and bolts.
    3. Reduced inventories and costs.
    4. Reduced mix ups when dealing with foreign suppliers.
    Stevo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    Why muddy the water with metric?
    'Cause for me, it's not muddy...it's crystal clear. I'm not a fan of fractions and decimal, while great with CNC, is pretty much a non-starter for "regular" woodworking. I do the inches and fractions thing for construction and have migrated my shop work to Metric.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am a mish mash.

For small stuff its nanometers. Up to microns. Then shift into thousanths. mm overlapping fractional inches up to a couple inches then inches. Then feet. Then yards. Then miles.

So I seem to have a preference based on absolute size range that shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo wis View Post
    Tom,
    I agree with you that thousandths are much easier than fractions. But for woodworking, i have an easier time visualizing 9/16 as opposed to the same in millimeters. That said, I think it's inevitable that we will go to metric. Most big companies are doing it now. Reasons why to muddy the water would be:
    1. One set of wrenches instead of two.
    2. One set of nuts and bolts.
    3. Reduced inventories and costs.
    4. Reduced mix ups when dealing with foreign suppliers.
    Stevo
    #4 seems like it would be a big one for companies that operate internationally. Make two models of widgets, the only difference being fastener size? Not ideal for the manufacturer.