Thread: Interesting video

Interesting video

Check out his recent video interesting new equipment I was suprised by the price https://youtu.be/l8PeLbHjwco

That was interesting
    Bob C

That does look cool.

That is cool.

Jointers with side heads were popular in German shops 30 and 40 years ago. Holz Her was one maker of this attachment. Saves time on S4S work if only using a jointer and planer and don’t have a 4 side planer. But limits some things you can do on the jointer.
    Here is a Bauerle with the side head attachment
    https://www.machineseeker.com/b%C3%A...as41/i-7753886

https://wtp.hoechsmann.com/en/lexikon/9281/1181
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 12-22-2022 at 9:40 AM.

How is this going to flatten a bowed board? Won't the feeder just press the bow out like a planer would?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    How is this going to flatten a bowed board? Won't the feeder just press the bow out like a planer would?
    Yeah, that is interesting. This just becomes an exposed planer with edge cutter? So you would need a regular planer in your shop or a way to cover up / turn off the side blade?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Yeah, that is interesting. This just becomes an exposed planer with edge cutter? So you would need a regular planer in your shop or a way to cover up / turn off the side blade?

The side cutter can be turned of if desired. I was a little surprised at the price giving the 10' width cut and three motor's . I have no need if it but I'm sure there are people who could make good use of it.

Blog Entries
    yeah, it's definitely a reasonable price.

On a non-squirrely 4/4 or thinner board, it could slightly increase the efficiency of milling. With a squirrely board, I'm not sure what it does exactly. Wouldn't you joint like normal, then transfer to a planer like normal? Then get the edges however you like (joint then TS or TS only, etc)?

I can't imagine a power feed does as good as a job of transferring side 1 to side 2 (parallel) like a planer does.

I'm curious why the concept never took off before when there's only about a billion different wood tools once you graduate to the industrial world and this type of solution seems not to really exist (?). I have a feeling it's not as useful as it appears..