Thread: A couple of library tables for a good client

A couple of library tables for a good client

A number of years back we did a large milling, drying and millwork job for a local church that was building a YMCA adjacent to their sanctuary. They shipped in several log trucks of southern yellow pine logs, along with some large white oak and red maple logs that were harvested from the site. We milled, kiln dried, and then processed the lumber into interior and exterior trim and other uses. Some of the largest white oak slabs were made into slab tables for the common areas of the church and YMCA.

When we completed that job, we still had a few boule's of WO and RM leftover, which we've been slowly selling off for them as the opportunity arose.

Recently they asked if we could make a couple of library tables from some of the leftover WO. They wanted something 8' long, but light enough to be portable.

Below is the result.

Table 1 was made from a center cut (quartersawn) 11/4 character slab. The slab was resawn into a pair of bookmatched planks, and then we assembled them into the pattern below. Pith voids were filled with black epoxy. It was a bit of a challenge due to all of the stresses present in the lumber. The multiple pith's from the limbs all wanted to move in different directions, and each one of the resawn bookmatched slabs also had to be ripped down the middle and reglued in order to help alleviate the results of the reaction wood present.

Although challenging, I am pleased with the character of the end result.

Table from side.jpg

Below is an end view of the same table.

Table from end.jpg

And here is an opposing corner view.

Top corner.jpg

The legs were made from a 3 piece glue up of edge spalted, quartersawn WO, with veneer sliced off of the two "show sides" and then bookmatched glued around the corner to cover the seams from the glue up. I enjoy this technique. It provides for a more stable leg and allows me artistic freedom to create a piece with character that spans around the corners. The edge glue lines tend to disappear since they are located on the corners of the leg.

Leg veneer.jpg

Here is the second top. This one was not a center cut, but was selected for both the spalting and edge grain character that is showcased in the middle of the table. The resawn planks were also ripped to allow for addressing the stresses; I'm pleased with how the glue lines disappeared though. Both of these tops are actually 4 board glue ups.

Second table from end.jpg

Below is a close up of the grain character in the center of table 2.

Table 2 center grain.jpg

Here are the two bases before finishing and attaching the tops.

table bases.jpg

With the needs of the sawmill and kiln operation, along with running the farm, I don't get a chance to do much woodworking. Typically I refer clients to local woodworking artisans. In this case though, it's a good customer and we have a connection to the wood. All in all a fun project and I'm pleased with the results.

I can’t take credit for the finish work; that goes to Jeff Karges of Karges Furniture fame. Jeff actually used to teach classes on finishing with Sam Maloof at his school in California many years back. He is a genius when it comes to finishing and a genuinely nice guy.
    Last edited by Scott T Smith; 12-21-2022 at 11:51 PM.

That's beautiful! The bookmatching is perfect, too. Good job.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Your client should be quite happy. Beautiful tables there Scott!

Those are awesome!

Blog Entries
    The personality of the tree really shows! very nice!
    Best Regards, Maurice

That’s one that I would never have thought was going to work. It’s a beautiful pair that reminds me of stuff we saw years ago on TV with
    Lowell Thomas ( he was the one wearing store- bought clothing) while the natives apparently always worked in leaves and hides. They have
    that wildness that stands as nature ,and fine art.

Very nice tables
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Those are just stunning Scott. The book matching is spectacular! They look tall enough to sit at - are they?

I really like what you did with the legs - I never thought of doing that but will try it on my next table.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Wow, great work. I especially like what you did with the legs. I'll use that one day.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Wow...those bookmatches are wonderful!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks all for the kind words!

Frederick, the table tops are 31” above the floor. And yes they are stable enough to sit on (I’ve done so).

Sometimes you have a vision but things don’t turn out quite the way envisioned. Fortunately, in this instance they turned out better.

Spectacular! I too really like the legs. Those will be sure to be cherished for decades.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra