Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A look into the tool chest drawers

A lot of people are using this idea for cordless drill/impact driver storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    . It makes finding "that thing I need" a lot easier and faster. I also conditioned myself to put a tool back immediately after use, even if it increases the time to do a task overall because of having to go back for a tool to "do one more thing" occasionally.
    I am in a highly space constrained shop space and live by this. It ends up being faster for me to put tools away as soon as I am done with them and then move on to the next step. I could leave a few tools out, but very quickly the 'next step' becomes putting away all the tools I don't need for the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    A lot of people are using this idea for cordless drill/impact driver storage.
    Yes, a popular approach, but that footprint (wallprint?) is more than I have accessible in the entire shop.

IMG_3801.jpg

I ended up going alot smaller on my cordless setup. I never quite understood why theres always 4 different brands on these things. I have a festool cxs for a small driver and a 18volt drill/ impact driver. So my wallmount for my drills is less than 12" wide has a 4" shelf below for drill accessories and a 3" below that holds drill drivers

Tom, your estate sale (whenever it happens) is going to be epic. I would consider flying cross-country just to get a look at everything!

I doubt there will be one. We have children who produce work too.

Here is how I like for tool chest drawers to present. Each drawer for one category like SAE wrenches up to 1-1/8, or 1/2" drive sockets, but some drawers share categories like Line Wrenches (big line wrenches are in another tool chest with large wrenches) and Cotter Pin. The cabinet with wrenches and regularly used mechanic tools is not labeled because I don't have to look.

As categories grow, some get subdivided into multiple categories. As the number of categories grows, so does the storage. I need to add on to the shops. Cameras and backup cameras.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-21-2022 at 8:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I doubt there will be one. We have children who produce work too.

Here is how I like for tool chest drawers to present. Each drawer for one category like SAE wrenches up to 1-1/8, or 1/2" drive sockets, but some drawers share categories like Line Wrenches (big line wrenches are in another tool chest with large wrenches) and Cotter Pin. The cabinet with wrenches and regularly used mechanic tools is not labeled because I don't have to look.

As categories grow, some get subdivided into multiple categories. As the number of categories grows, so does the storage. I need to add on to the shops. Cameras and backup cameras.
    That's very much the same way I organize mine.
    That goes for the boxes on the greasy side and the dusty side of the shop.

George, What brand of workbench you have and where did you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    George, when you went crazy building all these drawers, what brand(s)of slides did you use? Thanks