Thread: This week a couple paring chisels

This week a couple paring chisels

These are last couple of chisels for the year. A pair of paring chisels with desert ironwood handles. 3/4 and 1", overall length is 10.5". Thickness on these is a nominal 1/8 so they can be flexed when in use.

Ron

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

Blog Entries
    Beautiful

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice! You’re getting really good at this🙂
    Jim

Ron, I was wondering about the angle of the side bevels. They appear to be fairly high, which I like. When paring things like dados it is easier to judge if you are undercutting. At least to me it is. I don’t believe the intent of long paring chisels is dovetails. Be interesting to hear your opinions.
    Jim

The side bevels on these is 30 degrees with a generous land. You tend to put your hand on the blade of paring chisels and this makes it easier on your hands, and if you're cleaning out a slot or dado you may not want the side cutting so you can guide the chisel on the side. You're right, paring chisels aren't made for cutting dovetails. Dovetail chisels typically have very little land.

Ron

Ron, I dont see those on your website. Are they available?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Frederick these were a commission so they are spoken for. I don't maintain stock.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brese View Post
    The side bevels on these is 30 degrees with a generous land. You tend to put your hand on the blade of paring chisels and this makes it easier on your hands, and if you're cleaning out a slot or dado you may not want the side cutting so you can guide the chisel on the side. You're right, paring chisels aren't made for cutting dovetails. Dovetail chisels typically have very little land.

Ron
    Ron, you may be interested in an idea I had a while back (FWW magazine posted it a few issues ago).

The advantage of firmer chisels is increased strength. The advantage of a parer is increased control using angles. The advantage of a dovetail chisel with minimal lands is it can sneak into narrow spaces. A disadvantage of the sharp lands is that these will cut your fingers.

But you can put all these together in one by adding side bevels at the angle of lowest dovetail you may use. In my case this would be 6:1. The side bevel remains ala firmer chisel, but rather than vertical, it is angled to sneak into the corner of a tail. This is very easy to grind ....

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ilChisels.html

I've never seen a production or custom chisel like this.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 12-19-2022 at 8:13 AM.