Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fixed a heat pump for $6.61

fixed a heat pump for $6.61

Fixed a heat pump that had quit altogether for $6.61.

The last time that happened and I called a pro, several years ago, he charged me $250 to replace a bad capacitor on another unit. This morning paid for the meter I bought to be able to do such testing myself.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Fieldpie...-Head-True-RMS

I have a Pro account there, so I get free shipping. I ordered another backup.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Titan-Pr...citor-440-370V
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The last time that happened and I called a pro, several years ago, he charged me $250 to replace a bad capacitor on another unit.
    There is a lot that goes into a pro showing up to a job. Travel charge, minimum hours charged and knowing what to do when they arrive.

With capacitor start motors the capacitor often is the thing that goes bad. My problem with older motors was finding a compatible replacement capacitor when working on older units. It might be easier with HVAC equipment. It's probably more modern than some of the old stuff on which I've worked.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Replacing the start cap is my first go-to before calling my HVAC company. I even keep a spare for both heat pump units.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Wawro View Post
    Replacing the start cap is my first go-to before calling my HVAC company. I even keep a spare for both heat pump units.
    Not only that, but keep a spare set of fuses in disconnect box. If the unit isn't running, replace both of them. Later figure out which one is bad. About a month ago, car our daughter drives for her job, starter quit on Friday. Shop said have it towed in, and on following,Tuesday they could fix it. Her job is caring for a 104 year old lady, so she needs dependable transportation. Got car started and brought it to house. Working, lying on ground, with car up on jack stands, replaced starter in just a little over an hour. Would have been quicker, but because of lying on my back, had to remove and reinstall air dam on bottom side of car. Had her call shop and get a quote on fixing car: Reman starter $140 (I paid $132 for the one I bought.) Shop's warranty, one years on parts, mine lifetime. Plus $250 labor for a job that lying on my back took just a little over an hour. If I had had a lift, it would have been less than 30 minutes to do this job. Two friends had triple A bring them a battery to the tune of $160. The batteries I buy from Walmart, also made by either Exide or Johnson Controls, same as triple A's, now cost just under $60. As for quality, I'm on my fourth year of a one year warrantied battery in the van, and third year on one in the truck. Wife's car is on second year, all with no problems.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 12-17-2022 at 8:56 PM.

I'm not a fast mechanic, but I have always come out with my time being worth over $150 an hour versus paying someone else to do it, and the last time I was given a price for a particular job was years ago, so I'm sure it's more now.

My truck turned 22 years old last month. It's been paid for that long, and never been to a mechanic. It's a diesel with 360 some thousand miles on it. I'd like to have a new one, but as long as it's a reliable workhorse, with less than a grand put into it every five years, I'll keep using it.

I do have a mechanic shop where I can leave something setting inside while I order the next parts it needs when I'm in the middle of working on something.

I'm stuck close to home looking after my almost 107 year old Mother, so don't have anything much better to do anyway.

This particular capacitor was a good study in capacitors getting weaker over time. Tested with the ohm meter function, it looked like it was still okay as a charge would bleed all the way down. Tested with the microfarad function, it still had 15 microfarad capacity, but it needed 45. It had just gotten too weak to start the compressor and I happened to be there soon enough to cut the power when I realized it had completely stopped working. It would have been a worse puzzle with an ordinary meter.

Fuses only take 15 seconds to test to see if they are any good, and that includes taking one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Not only that, but keep a spare set of fuses in disconnect box..
    The heat pump for at this house quit once. My trouble shooting revealed a blown fuse deep inside the unit, accessible only after unscrewing a side panel. Doesn’t seem like a very reasonable place for a fuse. It was cheap to fix though.

That usually happens when someone changes the thermostat without shutting off the power first. It's an automotive 3 amp fuse. Another $200 service call for those that don't know about it.

If you have to cut the resistor on a start capacitor to test it (regular motor stuff, not HVAC), these do away with having to solder it back, if the cap has multi-pronged connectors. They also make discharging regular caps less dramatic than a screwdriver.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-93106-QC...ustomerReviews

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    They also make discharging regular caps less dramatic than a screwdriver.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-93106-QC...ustomerReviews
    And spoil all the fun, especially when you have a new helper. Tell them to "watch it, as these things sometimes blow up." Then let the fun start! Even more dramatic when they discharge capacitor themselves. Another fun item is when a helper puts his hands into wax ring under commode. Most say just what they thought they put their hand into!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Fixed a heat pump that had quit altogether for $6.61.

The last time that happened and I called a pro, several years ago, he charged me $250 to replace a bad capacitor on another unit. This morning paid for the meter I bought to be able to do such testing myself.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Fieldpie...-Head-True-RMS

I have a Pro account there, so I get free shipping. I ordered another backup.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Titan-Pr...citor-440-370V
    Here's exactly how my luck goes....
    - I hire the pro & he uses his $250 meter to find the problem.
    - I order a $250 meter so I can do it next time.
    - Between then and when I need the thing, it runs away and hides itself somewhere in the dark void that is my house..
    - I buy another $250 meter, with the idea in mind that I'll put it somewhere that I know I'll find it.
    - My wife meantime tells me to "call the guy" because she's cold. (cold wife = very unhappy life)
    - I call the guy and his bill for the "$6 part is $350 plus the "Holiday surcharge for coming out on Thanksgiving day (in my world, things always break on a holiday)
    - My $250 meter comes in. I play with it for a little bit and stck it on top of a bookshelf - where I know I'll find it next time - surprise - the other one is there too...
    - A few years go by and - I need the $250 meter.

Yipee! I know right where it/they are at!!!

- I reach up to get the $250 meter and - there's only one there. There's a note that says, "Honey, I loaned your $250 meter to our neighbor Phil so he could fix his furnace. Since I saw you had two, I told him to just keep it." (Phill and his family moved to Panama a year ago)( I remember seeing a $250 meter sitting on one of the tables he had in the driveway when he had a garage sale...I remember thinking if I bought it, I'd have three..)

- I get my original $250 meter down - and - the batteries are dead. They also leaked....

I call the guy...
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    The dash A/C in my RV has always failed about the time I head to Florida. Last time I took it in to have it fixed it cost me over $1000 in parts and labor. No more. Issue is now a slow refrigerant leak. Now every 6 months I just add $25 worth of refrigerant from Walmart. Let it leak, I'm ok with that.
    NOW you tell me...

I would fix it. Auto AC's are pretty easy to work on. Almost all of it is right on top of the engine compartment

I've replaced compressors on two of our vehicles, and a tractor. In my 22 year old truck, I replaced every O-ring seal, dryer, and the orifice. I'm thinking the compressor was about a hundred bucks, but it's been enough years ago that I don't remember. It works like a new one. I'm not okay with releasing refrigerant into the atmosphere, so recover as much as I can.

I would expect a slow leak to get worse, especially if it's the compressor. Both my truck and the Farm Use car started leaking at the compressor.

I have an older version of this that still works. When it stops working, I'll replace it with a Fieldpiece.
    https://www.elitechus.com/products/e...gaAmt3EALw_wcB
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-19-2022 at 9:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Here's exactly how my luck goes....

This is SO TRUE! They should make a Hallmark Christmas movie using this plot!

Its almost always the capacitor. I change them before I even test them. I personally dont do alot of service but If someone asks I buy a universal on the way over and throw it in before doing anything. In the 8 times or so Ive been asked to help It was the capacitor 7 times it was a fuse 1