Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tying a tarp over a portable shed

late yesterday got four of these welded up then painted. Re bar came with epoxy coating and found old trailer hooks loose. Looked at all kind of other hooks. Only issue here this will want to spin if hooked up to one side but okay as well.

Mig not used in a while pretty much out of gas, wire rusted, feed sputtered a few times, ground poor a few times, welding helmet misbahaved and after a few welds didnt darken so blast of light and could not see then it clamped down when i wasnt welding. Have a second better helmet so will bring that out. bought 8 foot rebars and cut 24" lengths, original plan would have been longer but think this is okay put in say at a 45 degree angle, placement and how its roped not sure yet. thanks for the rope posted. Have a simple hook thing that was with the bungy and not sure if its a useable thing or not but will find them and post.

Called a friend who had to store the car he built and its the same shed. He bought it used years back with almost 3 years on it and puts a light tarp on for two years then replaces it so the original silver tarp is at least 5 years old or more now. Kev thanks on the heavy duty, for now this is quick and simple fix. Will look it up and save, a thing no one has mentioned past. The tarp went back on days ago and no severe wind since so fine but talking a storm again by thursday or so.

I welded both sides then painted. Other ends were pointed 24" long.

P1930282.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-20-2022 at 12:52 PM.

I’ve had pretty good luck with Princess Auto “Haystack” tarps when covering my boat. They often last a few years in a tough environment. I’d definitely avoid bungee cords as they allow things to move. No stretch line like Tom suggests is the answer. Rebar with a bent hook at the end would be a simple solution.
    The 16mm pvc tarps seem ideal but are pretty heavy for my use. Around here, tying old netting tight over the tarp to prevent it from billowing is common.
    Good luck!

guy up the road is known for some strange building techniques. He built a house from hay bales covered with cement. He made one or two storage buildings from blue foam boards. One has windows. The foam is taped together and then coated with something that looks like thick tan paint. One of them has a pair of windows.

Blog Entries
    Straw bale construction is no joke. One of the big advocates for the concept tried to prove it in our town. The town said "no way". He moved to the next county west and did a good job proving it there. He has since moved on to continue his collaboration with the Dennis Weaver crowd. His straw buildings gracefully adorn the hillside near our family's farm. There are several straw houses that are over 100 years old.

The Original Nebraska Straw Bale Buildings – The Sustainable Home
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-21-2022 at 12:01 AM. Reason: RIP Dennis Weaver
    Best Regards, Maurice

very nice farmer here has a lots of work delivering straw to construction sites to warm foundations.

Blog Entries
    I use 20 oz white PVC tarps to cover our boats. They are 8 years old and showing no sign of ware whatsoever. They are getting grey and a little dirty looking. The material is so heavy it does not blow around until winds get very strong. Simple tie downs keep them in place. They remain
    100 % waterproof.
    One of my upcoming chores is to create a cover for the Woodmizer. I am determined for it to have a steel roof.
    Best Regards, Maurice

welded up four more stakes. Welding went better but still on this empty gas bottle or showing empty. Used the first welding hood and it worked better did clamp or auto darken when welding but then hung onto black for too long. Can that be a function of needing a new battery in the auto darken portion.

Found the second welding hood same brand but better, solar charged model. Sitting inside for years and not welded for a while. Is that the same story if the charge in the batteries is low does it do less auto darken? Also has an adjustment on the side which I assume is to make it darker or lighter to adjust for the type of welding flash.

both have a thing inside that you can move left or right, think that is for the speed it auto darkens. both do not want to move easily, I figured they would just slide side to side. Ill first try and find the manuals for these hoods as they are not in the computer.

Probably needs batteries, but if it has a Sensitivity dial, it may be turned up too high. Sounds like that slide switch may be sensitivity, which does control how it snaps back clear.

Side adjuster is usually how dark.

I would put new batteries in them anyway, if there is any question. Even solar models have batteries.

Blog Entries
    My son just replaced his original (ripped 4 YO) Shelter logic cover with one of their heavy duty versions. Much heavier. You want a vinyl cover, not a blue poly tarp.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Elliott just took just out a 3 year old super heavy duty polly tarp. The 8 year old PVC is still going strong and very tough.

IMG_1045.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-24-2022 at 2:41 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice