Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I use my chainsaw when it's raining?

Can I use my chainsaw when it's raining?

Guys, can I use my chainsaw to wet wood or when it's raining?

If YES, then what are the things that I should keep in mind. Hit me with your tips.

Thanks

No. If you use your chainsaw in the rain you will immediately be turned to stone.

If it isn't my grandfathers McCullough with no insulated cap.on the spark plug you might accidently touch...

Sure,, why not ...

Trick question from a sponsor? I used an umbrella walking in to my drafting job when I was young. The draftsman next to me asked if my Dad ever used an umbrella. Made me laugh, I've never seen any farmer carry an umbrella!

As Einstein said: 'It's all relative'.

Living in the Santa Cruz mountains, Big Basin, some years up around 100 inches , going in to work on the Peninsula ... co-workers ... 'i got soaked getting to my car this morning' ...

Friend from mid state Michigan... yeah, umm, you don't have a clue ...

I've been to Atlanta, now more or less living in Austin ... turn the AC to 76 and all the windows fog up ...

Gas or electric chainsaw?

Not that it really matters. I can't think of anything I'd want to cut bad enough that I'd try cutting with a chainsaw in the rain.
    Unless it's a real emergency, I'd wait until I had better footing. Working in the wet makes for nasty footing.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 12-16-2022 at 6:11 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Gas or electric chainsaw?

Not that it really matters. I can't think of anything I'd want to cut bad enough that I'd try cutting with a chainsaw in the rain.
    Unless it's a real emergency, I'd wait until I had better footing. Working in the wet makes for nasty footing.
    That would be my concern. Wet things tend to be slippery. Slippery and chain saws don't go together in my mind.

I agree with the footing comments. If there is no emergency, why? However loggers don't stop when it's wet out, do they?
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    I agree with the footing comments. If there is no emergency, why? However loggers don't stop when it's wet out, do they?
    I think the mud level, in regards to traction and excess erosion, is much more of a factor with inclement weather in logging than worrying about the saws getting wet.
    Still waters run deep.

Gas powered chainsaws work just fine in the rain, it's the operator that has the problems.
    Extra bar oil would be a good idea

Those diamond tipped saw chains need water flood cooling or the teeth burn up cutting rocks. So rain is good for them.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    When I lived in California, the advice was to wait for your field (or lawn) to be dry before you mowed.

After moving up to Southwestern Washington I mentioned this and asked about people here mowing wet here, either in a light rain or after it rained. One lady piped up, "if you aren't going to mow when it's wet, you aren't going to mow at all."

The Pacific Northwest is known for being a temperate rain forest extending from Northern California to British Columbia. The Olympic Peninsula, just north of me, receives over 100 inches of rain annually.

Here's a picture of Candy in the Olympic Rainforest:

Hoh Rainforest 3.jpg

So around here as long as it can be done safely trees and firewood are cut with a chainsaw when it is raining.

You may need to remove the chain and bar afterwards to wipe down all the main parts, that's just common sense.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Why does this bot keep posting these weird questions, and why do you all keep replying to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Why does this bot keep posting these weird questions, and why do you all keep replying to it?
    +1. From what I can tell, Hipa Store sells small engine parts for things like chainsaws. LINK Maybe they programmed the bot to get their name in front of us every day?

Suggest anyone who's tiring of this to drop Keith Outten a note.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-16-2022 at 1:27 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

They make air powered chainsaws for use underwater working on piers and such. Seems more likely to work then underwater arc welding which I have seen done.
    bill D.
    https://www.csunitec.com/saws/chain-...tic-chain-saws