Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The throw-away society!

The throw-away society!

My expensive Fasco pin nailer is kaput. The piston is bent, and needs to be replaced.
    So I borrowed my neighbors Harbor Freight pin nailer.
    I really liked this HF tool - it leaves a tiny hole. The Fasco nailer leaves a noticeably larger hole.

A replacement piston for the Fasco is $28 plus tax etc, a new HF nailer is $27.

I'm tempted to retire the Fasco and get a HF nailer. But I can hear my mother giving out about the throw-away society!

I normally like to get tools repaired (or do it myself) but I'm disappointed that this happened to the Fasco (I've no idea when or how) and I've always been disappointed the hole is so big in comparison to other pin nailers I've used.
    What would you do?

Well, that HF nailer is essentially a disposable too. And it likely has a shorter service life. Don't get me wrong, I have one and it works for me because I'm only a hobbyist.

I'd repair the Fasco, and if you really prefer the performance of another nailer, let the Fasco go to another home at a good price to pay for the purchase of something else.

If the HFT pinner will do what you want and can drive the length of pins you need for the work you do, I see very little downside. Their tools are reasonably good these days including the pneumatics. I wouldn't buy their fasteners, but for the same money as the replacement piston for your current tool, you immediately get a working unit that doesn't leave the larger hole you don't prefer. It could be the end solution or a stopgap as you consider other options, including other brands such as Grex.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd go buy the HF. I would keep the (unrepaired) FASCO for a while in case. You can always repair it a little later.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

What would you do?

better tool/performance for less money...................I think the choice is obvious.

I'd buy a Grex, keep the fasco and order parts, then never actually fix it until the unlikely event that the Grex breaks. This approach has two benefits, it provides amusement in pondering the confused awe of the buyers at my estate sale, and assures that I don't have to borrow tools. I hate borrowing tools.

The only Fasco I have is a full auto T50 stapler. I only bought it because it was the only one I could find. It's awesome. Takes about three seconds to run out three strips of T50 staples.

https://www.stapleheadquarters.com/I...saAqEaEALw_wcB

I would fix it if it broke.

+1 on what Steve said.
    (especially the estate sale part - I'll have to get creative in that respect as well!)

​jeff

Why not attempt to fix the bent pin?

Are you lamenting the fact of a throw away society, or asking if you should join it?

I personally don’t buy anything worth moving parts from Harbor Freight but I know may do and plan on tossing it and buying another when it quits. I’d rather spend the money on a quality brand and not have to interrupt my project and lose not only the momentum but the hour+ time. Maybe planning for the breakdown by buying two cheap tools would be better, but not for me.

But keep in mind a broken tool may not all have to go to the landfill - I keep a pile of steel for recycle, old break drums etc, and add pieces of defunct tools and such to the pile. And the metals recycling place pays by the pound.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    My expensive Fasco pin nailer is kaput. The piston is bent, and needs to be replaced.
    So I borrowed my neighbors Harbor Freight pin nailer.
    I really liked this HF tool - it leaves a tiny hole. The Fasco nailer leaves a noticeably larger hole.

A replacement piston for the Fasco is $28 plus tax etc, a new HF nailer is $27.

I'm tempted to retire the Fasco and get a HF nailer. But I can hear my mother giving out about the throw-away society!

I normally like to get tools repaired (or do it myself) but I'm disappointed that this happened to the Fasco (I've no idea when or how) and I've always been disappointed the hole is so big in comparison to other pin nailers I've used.
    What would you do?

Richard I'm both lamenting the throw away society and that I'm a fully paid up member!
    Donald, I think trying to fix the bent pin will likely lead to more frustration.
    I think I'll swing my Harbor Freight and pick up their fine pin gun and put the Fasco in the back of a dark cupboard for now.
    Thank you all for your input.

I used to say that I would never buy anything from HF with moving parts, but then I bought a angle drill to use for sanding bowls. That was about 10 years ago and it still works although it has always sounded as though it was eating itself.

Up til then, I had only bought things like dead blow hammers (got two of them and the only thing that keeps them from looking like new is the expected light scars on the faces and having turned about 9 shades lighter than the original day glo orange. Would never consider buying anything that I expect to hold two thing together for more tgan a few minutes.

I bought my first Grex pin nailer at a show sometime around 2005 or so. Still works like a champ. I have a Senco palm nailer that has better usage as a paper weight.

I would buy the Hf and see if the piston will swap in for the fasco. It may be the same size and work fine. Honestly I would be surprised if it is not the same piston while the rod may be smaller.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I'd buy a Grex, keep the fasco and order parts, then never actually fix it until the unlikely event that the Grex breaks. This approach has two benefits, it provides amusement in pondering the confused awe of the buyers at my estate sale, and assures that I don't have to borrow tools. I hate borrowing tools.

This is just a beautifully perfect response.