Thread: What do I need?

What do I need?

I want to get into laser engraving. Looking to do wall plaques, etc. Research has brought me to xTool. What will I need? Hardware, software, etc? I’m willing to pay a little more because I have found a better tool is better.

Any information would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Xtool is a diode laser. I think you will find that detail will be good, but extremely slow and limited. If you will be doing one item here and there, small logos on your items you make, then it is adequate.
    But a real CO2 laser will be way better. I'm doing logos on cutting boards right now. 3x5" logo is under 4 minutes on my 80w, (a 40watt would do as good). I've got the opposite side that is 5x6" and will take about 6 minutes. So about 10 minutes per board, will be 2 hours work for the 11 boards. And I think that is slow. It would take that xtool 2 days.....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Co2 laser I saw starts at $5000. That’s a bit more than I planned on spending.

You can stretch your budget beyond your initial consideration by planning to do a small amount of projects to sell. Once you have paid for your new laser engraver you would then have a much more versatile machine for your projects. Engraving work is easy to sell although generally not high dollar work in most cases.

That's a great attitude about a "better tool is better". What is you attitude about speed? I'm not sure about X Tool and the software Lightburn, but Lightburn only costs $60. You'll need an exhaust fan, grid panel and air assist if you want to cut, and a rotary attachment if you want to engrave in the round.

I had a diode laser and the fun went away, the basic control software GRBL is hobby based and the controllers are subject to glitches. The Facebook forum for Lightburn users is full of stories about diode laser issues. Buy one knowing what I just posted and learn. Oh and its slow, way slower than a basic good co2 machine and do not get K40 machine IF you want to run Lightburn the controller needs to be changed. I have a Cloudray Galvo, but I have heard good things about their co2 machines and LightObject brand which is good also but high priced.
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-16-2022 at 9:26 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

There’s a lot to be said for diode lasers. They are smaller and less complicated to use than a CO2 laser. CO2 requires an exhaust and air assist and a lot of room. Diode lasers Excel at engraving but not so much at cutting. Two things you want to look at in a diode are the power output not the input power and the dot size.And as noted diode lasers are a lot less expensive than CO2 laser. if I were to go for the CO2 laser it would have to have at least 50 to 60 watt output. I too would stay away from a 40 W CO2 laser. The working area is very small usually about 8 x 12“. Lightburn software is the way to go.

I live near State College, PA. Does anyone live nearby with a laser that I could observe the process?

My LightObject 40 watt CO2 had a 12x20 working area.

Ed there are tons of You Tube videos on diode lasers in action. If you want a diode machine, go for it but there are differences in brands. Try to find one that uses a Homing switch, I would get a 10 watt output unit, the ones that rate on the input are lying to you, the motors and control wattage has Zero to do with how well the machine engraves or cuts. You want a machine that will use Lightburn. With all the Christmas buying the good machines are pretty much sold out. I looked at a XTool a few weeks ago and they had decent rating, but your mileage may vary!!

Diodes are usually rated at 5 watts, but some overdrive them with more voltage to get 6 and 7 watts out which really cuts the life.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I have reservations with diode laser. Safety for 1. CO2 lasers are safer in my opinion. And $5000 seems like allot for a starter co2. A decent Chinese CO2 can bought for 1500 to 2500. 12x18 inch

I know nothing of diode lasers other than the fact that 2 former customers that I used to do occasional lasering for got a diode laser, and I haven't seen them since, so I assume they do work...

That said: just my opinion; if you're just going to be doing lasering as a hobby, a diode laser will likely be okay. And (I assume) you'll get some practice with learning to work with text and graphics and the necessary programs needed TO work with text and graphics...

But if you're planning on making money with a laser engraver, then all I can say is, I have 4 fiber lasers and 4 C02 lasers for reason: 7 lasers aren't enough
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle