Thread: Tool rest sticking

Tool rest sticking

I have Robust lathe and am using an Advanced Lathe tools (Steve Sinner) tool rest. The problem is when I release the lock on the tool rest I have to hit the rest fairly hard in order for it to release. Never had issues with it when I was turning dry wood, but I turned some wet wood and it has been sticking ever since. I've cleaned to tool post and the banjo but it continues to stick. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Greg

My Sweet 16 does the same thing. I been putting off doing something about it. My guess is the locking mechanism pieces are sticking. I'll clean it tomorrow and see what happens.

Jim

My AB does the same thing, just a matter of keeping it clean.

Same problem, scrubbing it with Fantastic and a scotchbrite pad removed the sap that had congealed inside and solved the problem. I suspect the tolerances are a little tighter than on many lathes.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McClurg View Post
    I have Robust lathe and am using an Advanced Lathe tools (Steve Sinner) tool rest. The problem is when I release the lock on the tool rest I have to hit the rest fairly hard in order for it to release. Never had issues with it when I was turning dry wood, but I turned some wet wood and it has been sticking ever since. I've cleaned to tool post and the banjo but it continues to stick. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Greg
    Hi, if you look in your manual, there is a picture of the locking mechanism. Simply remove it, clean it and add some lubricant. Be sure to have the bevels oriented correctly when you tighten it the first time. This particular locking mechanism has been around for years and is far superior to the typical screw-from-the-side used on less expensive lathes. Just needs a little love now and then.
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"

Thanks for the information. I've cleaned the locking mechanism multiple times but never thought about lubricating it. I'll give that a try.

The banjo is cast iron, and it will rust. The wedges in the banjo do become 'frozen' and need to be lubed once in a while. I have used Glide Cote, a spray of some sort, as well as good old WD 40. Even some 3 in 1 oil or any light machine oil. The inside of the tool rest area also rusts so it needs some spray once in a while, as well as the posts on your tool rests. I like the locking mechanism on the Robust lathe better than any others out there. Any other lathe you really have to crank on the set screw to keep it from vibrating loose. Oneway may be an exception. I think they have a longer lever on their set screw. I know the 3520C has locking wedges as well. Seems like they had some sort of locking mechanism or track that kept the wedges from rotating, but can't remember. Haven't seen one in years. I turn about 90% sloppy wet wood. My AB is so old, it has 3 speed range pulleys, which I prefer to the 2 speed versions.

robo hippy

I lubricated the locking mechanism and that seems to have solved the issue. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Yeah, you do need to clean/lubricate the banjo's locking mechanism and underside. But there's one potential problem that's often overlooked: the underside of the lathe bed. Sometimes glue, finish, or tree sap can land in that hard-to-reach area, and it will cause sticking. Scrape it with a razor blade and clean it with solvent.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

As I was cleaning the locking mechanism parts a few days ago, I measured the clearance out of curosity - 0.004 in. I think that's a good sliding fit but a little gunk will make it stick. A piece of paper is about 0.004"

Jim