Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

12 Dec 2022

Greetings,
    Been working in the shop some this week and also trying to get things wrapped up at work so I can try and relax at home some over the coming holiday days ahead. Just finished another cutting board to be delivered tomorrow.
    cutting_board_edge_grain_12-2022.jpg

14.5" wide by 18.25" long x 1.375" thick. Maple, Cherry, Walnut, White Ash, Red Elm

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Those cutting boards are turning out very nicely, Dennis!

The past week was moving quickly toward being able to be "moved in" to the new shop building. Tasks included finishing up some sound conditioning, getting all the painting supplies out of the space, moving the new sliding table saw in and getting it assembled as I need to be able to use it to complete the one remaining "building construction" task of boxing and trimming out the windows and person door and getting the compressor moved onto the platform which I accomplished today compliments of the Big Orange Power Tool. So in essence, I've actually started to move into the space and hopefully will be able to do a few project-projects even though there will still be lots of shop-focus projects necessary for awhile.

IMG_3244.jpg IMG_3293.jpg IMG_3309.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Despite having a fair amount of holiday stuff going on, I managed to get my bookcase to the dry fit stage. I still have to glue up the top, but then it will be time for sanding, finishing and final assembly. I'll use the same finishing schedule I used for the office desks and built-ins, although it will start off a bit lighter I'm sure because the desks and built-ins have a head start on natural darkening. Cherry and cherry plywood:

IMG_1451.jpg

The top will be hinged and the compartment under the top will be used for wire management as my desktop, UPS and audio stuff will occupy the lower shelf of the bookcase.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Delivered kazoos. They were a hit. Spotlight moment was when our son performed the Star Spangled Banner. He used to sing the song at various venues around the country when he was performing professionally. Totally different vibe with a kazoo.

I wildly beat my guestimated schedule and have finished the jumbo size lincoln logs in 2 (partial) weekends and a few weeknights worth of work, plenty of time to spare before Christmas. This might be the most efficient use of time project I've done. Given the interest a few people had when I asked about the power feeder a while back I'll be trying to get a writeup in the project forum going through my process and lessons learned.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I fixed the legs on the bench for my sister-in-law. They're now solidly attached with mortise/bridle joints. She's going to love it for Xmas.

20221210_112616.jpg20221119_142024.jpg

Hey Jim, the space looks nice! Good for you.
    If that compressor vibrates and makes unnecessary noise, horse matting may be a good solution underneath it as a dampening agent.
    Looking forward to the progress.

I kind of lost track a bit as i've done a lot of smaller projects:
    1) cut out about 14 Christmas trees on the laser cutter for my wife to use at work
    2) Made a gift for my in-laws for Hannukah
    3) Finished a frame using Osmo oil for some art work. It's the first time I've used this product and like it a lot.
    4) Added an electrical receptacle
    5) Started building a clamp rack to reorganize all my clamps.
    6) Started testing out another laser engraving for some commission work.

And a bunch of other stuff.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!