Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thin Stock and the Vanishing Dog

Blog Entries

Thin Stock and the Vanishing Dog

Often when planing thin stock when using a dog as a stop the piece may flex or the plane can cause the dog to lower and then there is no stop.

Then an idea came my way to hold the dog up. First the the dog needed a kerf:

Sawing a Kerf.jpg

This was cut into the dog so it would end up shorter than the piece being worked.

The shim stock was so thin it needed to be folded over to stay in the kerf:

Piece os Shim in Kerf.jpg

It actually worked quite well:

Shimmed Dog in Use.jpg

The shim was still too thin. When the dog was going to be put away, the shim fell out into a bunch of shavings on the floor. Maybe next time it well get folded over an additional time or maybe some thicker shim stock is hiding in my scrap box.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

A simple solution, the more contact with the thin stock edge the better.
    My solution can be set in the bench top or held in the tail vise. It does require a long tail vise to be effective like this.
    5991989B-810E-45C9-B3DB-972903FF1A75.jpg
    It is a simple solution also. The stop uses zinc I believe, very soft so as not to damage a plane blade. The teeth provide a good grip and are adjustable. Bought mine many years back, not sure if they are still available.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    My solution can be set in the bench top or held in the tail vise. It does require a long tail vise to be effective like this.
    5991989B-810E-45C9-B3DB-972903FF1A75.jpg
    It is a simple solution also. The stop uses zinc I believe, very soft so as not to damage a plane blade. The teeth provide a good grip and are adjustable. Bought mine many years back, not sure if they are still available.
    I have one of those set into my bench. It does work well with thin pieces. I like your solution. My biggest complaint with mine is it gets packed up with sawdust and you have to remove it every few months to clean out the hole so it can close fully.

Also, I believe Lee Vally sells them.

Good idea. Maybe a piece of credit card...

I mostly use japanese planes, & just clamp a scrap in the vice for a stop. Have a couple of pieces that stand on the vice rails, sticking up useful amounts.

I had this same problem years ago, and solved it by... well, it's probably best just to link to my dumb blog post:

http://galoototron.com/2010/07/03/ma...le-bench-dogs/

I'm not imploring anyone to go out and do this (a normal metal planing stop probably works as well), but I still use those things on a fairly regular basis and they've always seemed to do the job.

Thanks, Jim. Pretty elegant solution. I might just super glue the one I'm going to make.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post

The teeth provide a good grip and are adjustable. Bought mine many years back, not sure if they are still available.
    Yes, as Ben posted Lee Valley recently had them on sale. It was very tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Good idea. Maybe a piece of credit card...
    A piece of a credit card would be great. A lot of the promotional cards sent in the mail have been saved. They haven't sent me any in a long time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ward View Post
    I had this same problem years ago, and solved it by... well, it's probably best just to link to my dumb blog post:

I have done that in the past Brian. The piece of stock is so thin on this project I would have had to use a toothpick. Not wanting to run in the house or making on the first thing that came to mind was to use some shim stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Thanks, Jim. Pretty elegant solution. I might just super glue the one I'm going to make.
    Thanks Prashun, That may happen to mine today.

Another unintended benefit of this is with a slightly loose dog, any flexing of the stock will tend to lift the dog. Then it falls back down to where it was. With a tighter dog, sometime the stock would end up riding over the dog during a forward plane stroke.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-12-2022 at 3:03 PM. Reason: added: Another unintended benefit of this
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Of course, you can also just knock a nail or a screw into your bench for an extra low profile stop!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ellenberger View Post
    Of course, you can also just knock a nail or a screw into your bench for an extra low profile stop!
    Yes, though even with my bench being old and scruffy I just can not bring my self to doing such a thing.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ward View Post

I'm not imploring anyone to go out and do this (a normal metal planing stop probably works as well), but I still use those things on a fairly regular basis and they've always seemed to do the job.
    Brilliant. I use both brass and shop made round oak dogs with a flat and adding a single "tooth" with a brad to the oak versions makes way too much sense.
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 12-12-2022 at 4:29 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Or even a couple brass wood screws. And adjustable.

Richard

Two options on my work bench …

Adjustable height …

Sandpaper on the inside face …

Before these were sold by a few parties, I modified a dog with steel teeth …

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Lots of good stuff in this thread. Just adding mine.

Bullet catch as a spring.

Thin Stock Dogs (1).jpg

Flat head screw as a low profile catch.

Thin Stock Dogs (2).jpg . Thin Stock Dogs (5).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Lots of winning solutions for sure. I need to make up a few of the examples shown and give them a road test. The sandpaper on the sliding planing stop is a particularly good idea.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Here is another: my adjustable sticking board ...

Great for thin drawer sides ...

.. or beading ...

Details: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ingBoard2.html

Regards from Perth

Derek