Thread: Question of 2 (many) dovetail saws

Question of 2 (many) dovetail saws

This is the best time of year to lower the tool count in my shop.
    I've already sold off a few planes I don't use, and now I'm looking at joinery saws to eliminate.
    I have 2 dovetail saws: One is a higher end cost-wise, 19 TPI ~$350.00 USA from Gramercy;, The other is the Veritas 20 TPI and its $109.00 Canadian.

I would appreciate opinions: Is the Gramercy that much better to justify the 2x price difference?
    I have the boxes both saws came in, just so the "under tree" can be complete.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Ignoring the cost, each will feel different, weight, balance, grip. Keep both until you decide you don’t like one as much. You might buy a small Japanese pull saw and decide you can get rid of both of them. Dovetail size is a big factor in which saw you prefer as well.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

You should keep them you might find one saw does better for certain woods or thickness. Unless your not interested in Dovetail joinery
    I have three dt saws a Windsor a Adria and wenzloff. I have no idea of the tooth count but I can tell they all cut differently.
    Good day sir
    Aj

The real question is what to do when those nice saws when they need sharpening, as they are not much good to you dull. Your response to the poster is also correct regarding having different saws (and plate thicknesses) for various woods, or large vs. small dovetails. You probably will develop preferences for for the "feel" of one of those saws and perhaps make that one your "go to". The "TPI" makes a big difference in feel. Your favorite could be 15-16 TPI, and the thinnest or smallest plate could be could be 20 TPI. My guess is that you will soon have a favorite from your saws, which you will use for almost everything that calls for dovetails.

Blog Entries
    I have 2 dovetail saws: One is a higher end cost-wise, 19 TPI ~$350.00 USA from Gramercy;, The other is the Veritas 20 TPI and its $109.00 Canadian.

I would appreciate opinions: Is the Gramercy that much better to justify the 2x price difference?
    Aaron, a simple way to determine this might be to make a small box. Use one saw on one end and the other saw for the other end. You may find very little difference. The Veritas 20 TPI is a nice saw. A 14 TPI Veritas Dovetail Saw was purchased for my grandson. It impressed me so much a 20 TPI saw was purchased for myself.

Though the Gramercy and the Veritas saws are both dovetail saws, their differences may mostly be in their looks and how they were made. The Gramercy was made to be a more traditional saw like many from the past. The Veritas was made to be an affordable high quality saw available to a much wider market.

There are at least five saws in my shop that could be candidates for dovetailing and a few more for larger dovetails. One day, at least one of them will likely be filed for crosscutting.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    If you’re looking to optimize your joinery saw nest, a consideration is length/depth of rip cuts; both of your current saws are very fine pitch 19-20 TPI, ideal for DT’s in thinner stock. Other common joinery rip cuts are DT’s in 4/4 or thicker stock, also gang cutting 2 tail boards at the same time, or perfect more relevant, ripping cheeks on tenons- for those jobs I prefer 10-14 PPI, .025” thick plates. Food for though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    This is the best time of year to lower the tool count in my shop.
    I've already sold off a few planes I don't use, and now I'm looking at joinery saws to eliminate.

I have the boxes both saws came in, just so the "under tree" can be complete.
    Hi Aaron

Both the Veritas and Gramercy may look similar on paper, but they are different in use. The Veritas has much relaxed teeth, that is a 14-degree rake. The Gramercy has a zero degree rake, as I recall. The Veritas will be best in thin stock, that is, 1/2" and under. The Gramercy benefits from a thinner 0.018" plate to perform on thicker stock, say 1/2" and above.

I reviewed the Gramercy here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...vetailSaw.html

and the Veritas here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...vetailSaw.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Question: Isn't all Dovetail saws filed Rip? Since that is the main type of saw cut they make.....so, why all those "extra" teeth?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Some have more/less teeth per inch, some have more/less rake per tooth, some have variable rake, some have variable teeth sizing. The hang of the handle can vary. Rip may be the basic shape, but some saws are better for thin/thick boards, or hard/soft woods.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Some saws are filed hybrid for other reasons. One of my "dovetail saws" has a thicker plate than most. Its teeth are filed at 13ppi with 5º of rake and 5º of fleam. It does well when used for either rip or crosscut work.

Here is the build post > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?180712

It is the "dovetail saw" used for a lot of other work, but especially when cutting dovetails in construction lumber like 2X4s.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Can’t say how many you need, I have too many. I can suggest this. Sell the expensive one. Buy a Veritas 14. You will have two good saws that will do almost any job. You will also have saws that feel at least similar in use.
    Jim

Two is just a good start.