Thread: Rookie Question about Air Assist...

Rookie Question about Air Assist...

Hi everyone,

I have an epilog mini 24 which I bought used 5 years ago and I'm out here trying to figure out if I indeed have an Air Assist system in my laser or not.
    Near the cutting head there is a little metal pipe, curved down towards the laser target area. the pipe is preceded by a thin rubber hose which is coiled and runs back along the gantry towards the rear of the machine. From what I can tell it's at least SET UP to have air assist. But whether I have it or not I don't actually know.

So, long and short of it - how do you to tell if your machine has Air Assist?

It seems to be in the same vein as how you can currently buy a Base model Jeep Wrangler WITHOUT air conditioning, but the AC button will still be there from the factory. so if you have never experienced air conditioning you wouldn't know whether it came with it or not, unless you look at the sales sheet.

Sorry if this sounds kinda dumb...

0l0id

Does your machine have a air compressor? Look.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg Mikhailik View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have an epilog mini 24 which I bought used 5 years ago and I'm out here trying to figure out if I indeed have an Air Assist system in my laser or not.
    Near the cutting head there is a little metal pipe, curved down towards the laser target area. the pipe is preceded by a thin rubber hose which is coiled and runs back along the gantry towards the rear of the machine. From what I can tell it's at least SET UP to have air assist. But whether I have it or not I don't actually know.

So, long and short of it - how do you to tell if your machine has Air Assist?

0l0id
    According to the Epilog specs on the Mini line, they do not come with an air compressor, you need to attach one to use the Air Assist. There should be a connection port on the back of the machine to hook it up to.

https://www.epiloglaser.com/laser-ma...-techspecs.htm
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

The Epilog is plumbed for air assist but needs a separate, user-supplied air compressor. When looking at the laser from the back side, the air assist input is at the upper left corner.

That air assist input connector uses a friction fit to accept a 1/4"OD plastic tube. If your air compressor has such a tube, you can just push the bare end of it into the laser's connector and you are done. If instead you have a standard air compressor hose and fitting, check your local big box stores for a PL-3005 fitting/adapter (WATTS is one brand name). The PL-3005 fitting has a female "friction fit" on one end that accepts a 1/4" hose/tube and a NPT connection on on the other end. You'll need a few inches of 1/4" tube to go between the back of the laser and the PL-3055, and then a regular NPT-fitting air hose to the compressor.
    Last edited by Glen Monaghan; 12-11-2022 at 11:42 AM. Reason: added connector info

Thanks Everyone.
    DUH. Definitely a tube in the upper left of the rear. Even says 'Air Assit' next to it. And of course, no compressor leading to it. Epilog appears to be selling one for $500. Somewhat steep for me. I'm wondering if there is a cheaper aftermarket option? Any of you guys have experience going that route?

Do you have Amazon on your computer, another duh thing. Look for a small compressor with a small tank and you do not need much pressure 5-10 psi and maybe 3-4 cfm per minute. Look at the spec's for the one Epilog is selling
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-11-2022 at 6:50 PM.

My Chinese Triumph came with one of these types of pumps (in the pics below), label on mine says it pumps 140L (liters) per minute- These 4 below I found on ebay, I just searched for 'air pump 140L/minute' -
    And FWIW, mine runs un-regulated, and blows WAY more air than is needed! Even the cheapest one below @ 70L/min. unit would probably push plenty of air. Also, I don't actually use it for 'air assist' to cut so much as to just keep the smoke away from the lens (but then, my cutting is almost always engraving plastic, hardly ever cut wood)...
    airpumps.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Those are used as aquarium air pumps and I have used the smaller ones in the past.

Prior to having a proper air compressor I used an airbrush compressor which cost $100 or less.