Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Resaw King Resharpening Disappointment

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Yeah, they moved their RK sharpening to I think to the Carolinas a few years ago. I sent one out using the Cali form spring of 2020. Was delivered to California, but took them until late summer to find it and send it on. (pandemic didn’t help!!). Got it back in the fall, much duller than when it left home. Made a handful of attempts to get in touch by phone & email with no response. Kept it as a reminder, may give a place 40 miles or so away a short—plenty of carbide left.
    The reason I sharpen my own blades is not simply the cost saving, but mainly that I struggle to wait weeks or months for the blade to return. The effort in sharpening is less than the effort to package and ship. 20 minutes and a blade is done.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The reason I sharpen my own blades is not simply the cost saving, but mainly that I struggle to wait weeks or months for the blade to return. The effort in sharpening is less than the effort to package and ship. 20 minutes and a blade is done.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I tried your method Derek and I made a mess out my blade.
    If I remember correctly I tried to sharpen a woodmaster ct.
    If you weren’t on the other side of the planet I would send my blades to you.
    Aj

Can you sharpen the Resaw King yourself? I've had some success with other blades - just touched the back of each tooth on a 600 grit cbn wheel. Really takes no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I don't think Lenox makes the CT less than 1". Their Tri-Master is available in 3/4" http://www.spectrumsupply.com/trimaster.aspx#reviews
    They make a 1/2" Tri-Master as well. The blade is .025" rather than the more common .032"+ so should be easier to tension. I bought one to run on a 14" Rikon 10-325 but haven't done anything with it beyond experimenting a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Can you sharpen the Resaw King yourself? I've had some success with other blades - just touched the back of each tooth on a 600 grit cbn wheel. Really takes no time.
    I will probably do that next time around.

I saw this thread and thought I better check the two Resaw King bandsaw blades I recently got back from Laguna after (supposed) resharpening. As far as I can tell, they never bothered to resharpen either of the blades. I have a message into them (trying to call was useless...got into a circular customer service loop). Here is a photo of one of the teeth. Still has wood dust on the gullet and you can see the there isn't any evidence of grinding. Unbelievable. This is evidence of a company in decline. Postscript FWIW- they do have a caveat that they will not sharpen a blade with more than 6 broken teeth. I checked the blades and they only had 1 broken tooth each.
    IMG_1677.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Falk; 12-15-2022 at 7:37 PM. Reason: added info

This video I found a good watch, made it look easy, not much talking, just tacking parts and moving onto the next bit.
    https://youtu.be/le_NmxlLTRk

That’s really unfortunate to see Bob. Hopefully you can at least get a refund. The teeth on my blade that I received back that weren’t chipped have at best half the carbide left.

It took a few days of back and forth emails with customer service at the start of the week, but I’m supposedly being sent a new blade. I haven’t gotten any sort of tracking info after a couple days of silence so I’m hoping it just shows up. If nothing happens by mid next week I’ll email again. I’ll update the thread once it’s all settled.

The last few orders of replacement parts from their shop online have required me to email 1-3 weeks after getting no shipping email in order to get someone to go pull parts and send them. Luckily I’ve at least received the full and correct order afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gouldman View Post
    That’s really unfortunate to see Bob. Hopefully you can at least get a refund. The teeth on my blade that I received back that weren’t chipped have at best half the carbide left.

It took a few days of back and forth emails with customer service at the start of the week, but I’m supposedly being sent a new blade. I haven’t gotten any sort of tracking info after a couple days of silence so I’m hoping it just shows up. If nothing happens by mid next week I’ll email again. I’ll update the thread once it’s all settled.

The last few orders of replacement parts from their shop online have required me to email 1-3 weeks after getting no shipping email in order to get someone to go pull parts and send them. Luckily I’ve at least received the full and correct order afterwards.
    That is unfortunate. I had ordered a part for my bandsaw about a year back (My son inflicted some damage to the plastic dust director thing by turning the saw on before tensioning the blade), still in the middle of covid, and it was mailed out in a day or two, and I had the same experience with a part shipped for warranty on my dust collector. Hopefully it's just a delay with December vacations!
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I’m sure it’s been an interesting year in many industries as far as staffing. Hopefully it’s just a blip, or vacations with holidays as you’ve said. They usually do respond to email within 24-48 hours pretty reliably which is good.

Would be helpful to hear how well the carbide saw bands are holding up. Years ago some suppliers recommended against them . Teeth were
    falling off

All one needs to sharpen a bandsaw is a Dremel and diamond disk. The jig holes the angle constant as it sides along the bandsaw fence. Touch just the back of the tooth ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

I sharpen like that but holding the Dremel by hand, very quick, two or three seconds per tooth. My hand rests on the table and the angle is consistent.
    I do use a different angle than in your diagram, grinding a little closer to parallel to the tooth.

JKJ

John, I began by freehanding the teeth. Did this for a few years. Then decided that a jig would keep the teeth a more consistent height.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I take the blade to the benchtop grinder. If you've seen the Ashley Harwood videos, same method. Takes no time at all - you just touch each tooth to the wheel for a half a second.

Derek, I like your contraption.

Edit: I think I've asked this before but can you re-sharpen Carbide blades yourself? Same method?
    Last edited by John Kananis; 12-16-2022 at 4:04 PM.