Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Resaw King Resharpening Disappointment

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    …micro fractures can develop in the band which, if they grow large enough, will cause the blade to break. I see this all the time with my sawmill blades which typically break after 8 to 10 running hours…
    Yikes, I don’t remember breaking a blade on my Woodmizer. Makes me wonder what the difference is. Manual vs power feed? I have a manual LT15, the blades are from Woodmizer.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Yikes, I don’t remember breaking a blade on my Woodmizer. Makes me wonder what the difference is. Manual vs power feed? I have a manual LT15, the blades are from Woodmizer.
    John, I use Woodmizer blades, too, on my Woodland Mills manual mill. About 24 ksi.

John

OK, today I reconfigured the sharpener so that it can sharpen the face of the tooth.

I adjusted the sharpening disk so that it's parallel with the face of the tooth. The depth is set just a smidge deeper than the depth of the carbide insert.

The hinge plate limits how low the blade can be pulled down and, thus, limits how much is ground off during sharpening. It all has to be set up with a careful eye, but it works fine. Here's a short video of it in action.

https://photos.google.com/u/1/share/...hNT3dCY2tGMDNn

John

Re Laguna Resaw King bands, I've used them and their resharpening services for years. Around 3 years back they relocated their resharpening operations from California to South Carolina. Subsequently I started having a lot of problems with resharpening quality, which Laguna always rectified. Most of these I attributed to the learning curve for the new employees in SC.

I never had a problem with chipped teeth - only sharpening angles and tooth set.

Hopefully they will respond and make it well for you.

Although I sharpen my own bands for the sawmill, I've found that a major sharpening service can do a better job on my carbide tipped blades than I can, so I send them out.

Resaw King bands are still the best for resawing, IMO. Coming off of my dedicated resaw, tolerances across a 12" slice of veneer are within a few thousands of an inch and the kerf marks left by the bands are all but invisible. Lennox Tri-master's aren't bad but kerf marks are notably greater than the RK's.

Interesting to note you folks not being too concerned regarding cleaning out the gullets.
    I'm going to have to re-watch some youtubes, TC sawmills videos I seen this mentioned.(IIRC)
    Perhaps this is just an issue with large mills rather than the mere 25000 PSI at best, in which the stouter of "narrow bandsaws" occasionally require.

I note seemingly no burr on those gullets of the CT, so I wonder if that might have something to do with it...
    i.e the sawyers at the mill, having to do a lot more grinding than most creeker workshop folk, to get past the tooth damage of regular carbon blades
    and therefore the heavier grind (presumably) leaves a greater burr, which I haven't seen mention of.

Not sure if you guys CT blades started out with crisped edged gullets, or if they infact are still sharp, or other factors, possibly the steel used,
    or whatever, but you're certainly giving a better argument to leave the gullets alone...
    Should it be the case,

Another thing I'd like to know is if regular blades are treated by such carbide tipped sharpening enthusiasts
    with
    the exact same way/methodology.

Apologies in advance for potentially starting up a sharpening debate, LOL

Just incase ones pondering whether to wish for a chainsaw sharpener or a dremmel tool from santa.

Seasons greetings to ye
    Thanks again
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 12-19-2022 at 12:46 PM.

Carbide grinding

I would encourage anyone who is dry grinding carbide to at least read up on the possible safety implications of doing so. Easy enough to protect yourself, but tungsten carbide dust is not innocuous.

I'll just add my experience with Laguna. I have an 18BX and keep two 1.25" resaw kings on hand, one that I'm using, and one as a spare to put on while the other is sent out, or if I destroy the one on the saw. Depending on how much I use it, a blade will last 8 months to a year for me before needing to be sharpened. I have one that has been sharpened twice now, and a brand new one because the previous one I had was welded incorrectly and had a forward/backward oscillation, so they sent me a new one.

I personally haven't had any problems with the sharpening service, but I've only used them twice, once in california, and once in south carolina, and I do believe they sharpen on site, but that is from memory, and things could have changed.

I will say that my overall experience with Laguna customer service has been very spotty - sometimes things are done well and communicated well, but most of the time, it is left to me to follow up and make sure they follow through, otherwise nothing gets done, and very little is communicated. This has been especially true with my 12/16 lathe that I've had a number of issues with, which made dealing with customer service very frustrating. Due to my experience, I do not plan on buying any more Laguna equipment, and I hope to replace my lathe once I've saved up enough. The only item I plan on continuing to purchase from Laguna is the Resaw king, and their sharpening service, but I will definitely keep an eye out for their quality the next time I send out a blade.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Well wouldn't you know it the Woodmaster CT on my bandsaw broke today, right at the weld. Both blades I've purchased from Spectrum Supply have now broken at the weld. Not a good trend. I heard it start talking; tick, tick, tick, and I knew I should turn off the saw, but thought oh, I can finish the last few veneer cuts on this board. Wrong. Bang. Broken.

This blade is about 2 years old, I think, I've sharpened it twice, and cut a LOT of veneer with it, but still.

John

Following up to close out this thread. Just received a replacement blade from Laguna today. I reported via the form on their website on 12/10. The email back and forth was fairly responsive with just a few back and forth exchanges over the first couple weeks. So I’ve been made whole and am satisfied with the response and experience for the claim.

Thanks for everyone that added to the thread, especially the jigs for diy carbide sharpening. I definitely plan to copy this for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gouldman View Post
    Following up to close out this thread. Just received a replacement blade from Laguna today. I reported via the form on their website on 12/10. The email back and forth was fairly responsive with just a few back and forth exchanges over the first couple weeks. So I’ve been made whole and am satisfied with the response and experience for the claim.

Thanks for everyone that added to the thread, especially the jigs for diy carbide sharpening. I definitely plan to copy this for the future.
    The only issue, it took them a month to fix a simple issue. I am a big fan of Laguna but this just bugs me. I get it, there were holidays in the middle, but your replacement blade should have been in your hands within a week.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    The only issue, it took them a month to fix a simple issue. I am a big fan of Laguna but this just bugs me. I get it, there were holidays in the middle, but your replacement blade should have been in your hands within a week.
    I think this is the new norm by a lot of companies. Ignore, procrastinate, ask for unrelated details, then more follow-ups by a different department, all in an effort to get the customer to drop their claim. Or just plain deny the problem was their fault. Sad by increasingly true.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I think this is the new norm by a lot of companies. Ignore, procrastinate, ask for unrelated details, then more follow-ups by a different department, all in an effort to get the customer to drop their claim. Or just plain deny the problem was their fault. Sad by increasingly true.

John
    I just had a warranty thing with my dust collector not too long ago and we spent a day or so of back and forth debugging. Once we got the isolated issue, they just sent me an entire control panel assembly anyway and it was in the mail the next morning. So I would not expect them to have any desire to piss off a customer over the cost of a bandsaw blade.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!