Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Resaw King Resharpening Disappointment

Resaw King Resharpening Disappointment

I just got back my Resaw King blade after sending it away for the first time. What was initially excitement quickly gave way to extreme disappointment. Taking the tooth guard strip off the blade I saw several chipped teeth within the first foot alone. In all, 23 chipped teeth around the 115” blade.

At a loss as to where to go from here. The remainder of the teeth are sufficiently sharp. I haven’t put it on the saw yet to see how well it cuts. Does Laguna have any sort of policy on handling something like this? Seems like terrible workmanship on their part to me. I plan on emailing customer support to see what they have to say about it. I’m curious what other’s expectations would be in this situation, and what others results have been with Laguna resharpening in the past. I always have seen resharpening listed as a selling point for this blade here and other places but rarely if ever seen results of folks having it done.
    Last edited by Brian Gouldman; 12-09-2022 at 9:40 PM.

That’s a bummer. Be sure to take pics before you test cut the blade.
    Ive giving up having carbide blades resharpened. They never come back like new.
    Good luck
    Aj

Sorry to hear that, those blades are super expensive. IMO there's no excuse & Laguna needs to make it right either fix it or give ya a new one. They push those blades and there sharping service as a selling point they can't expect you to be OK with 23 chipped teeth. I've got one & if I ever get it sharpened I'm making sure Laguna will return it with all teeth intact. Hopefully after you contact there CS you'll get it sorted out.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-17-2022 at 7:42 PM.

I had a similar thing happen to me. I sent my resaw king in for sharpening and now I can't get it to cut straight. Even dull, that blade was accurate as can be - until I had it sharpened.

I've heard nothing good, only bad, about Laguna and their sharpening service. So I use a local outfit who has more skin in the game to get it right.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Blog Entries
    I was also disappointed that they did not repair the broken teeth on my blade even though I noted them on the order. I was informed that they did not repair teeth and that if the amount of teeth was beyond their acceptable amount they would refuse the blade. End of story. Certainly gives me pause in ordering any more Resaw King blades.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I bought a Resaw King just a few weeks ago and haven't needed to have it sharpened yet. Would you please post the results of your conversation with Laguna customer service here, Brian? Thank you for sharing your experience.

I have a 1" Woodmaster CT bandsaw blade, and sharpen this myself using a diamond disk in a Dremel. My previous blade was re-sharpened 5 times.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have used their sharpening service 3-4 times now, and i have no complaints. Im sure they will give you a free or discounted sharpening on your next one. Heck, they replaced a resaw king when i toasted mine on a loose ceramic insert on a laguna saw. This saw was 10-15 years old and well out of warranty, but they replaced the blade for free.

In the scheme of things, 20+/- shipped teeth might not alter the performance much. I think my blades have 70-80 teeth on them in total

I might have to try your method in the future. I have looked in to the woodmaster ct but can’t seem to find anyone, online at least, that offers the 3/4” version. Otherwise I’d be really interested to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I have a 1" Woodmaster CT bandsaw blade, and sharpen this myself using a diamond disk in a Dremel. My previous blade was re-sharpened 5 times.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I’ve sent a message off to their CS email. I’m hopeful they will make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gouldman View Post
    I have looked in to the woodmaster ct but can’t seem to find anyone, online at least, that offers the 3/4” version. Otherwise I’d be really interested to give it a try.
    I don't think Lenox makes the CT less than 1". Their Tri-Master is available in 3/4" http://www.spectrumsupply.com/trimaster.aspx#reviews

I would be really surprised if they did sharpening on site, so wouldn't be too fast to criticize Laguna. They should have been your first contact before the internet. Laguna takes so many internet beatings on customer service I feel sorry for them. I don't have any of their equipment, so maybe they deserve it?

I’ve emailed them, so giving them their chance and will post the result here as well. I don’t see any issue with sharing my account with others as I have or seeking feedback of others accounts of their service. Pretty sure I’ve kept it pretty even tempered thus far.

In my view, the individual or company performing the work already had one chance to look at the results of their work and not send back a blade in worse condition than they received it. Regardless of if they have a third party sharpen the blades or not, they ultimately own quality control of the service they provide and I paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gouldman View Post
    I’ve emailed them, so giving them their chance and will post the result here as well. I don’t see any issue with sharing my account with others as I have or seeking feedback of others accounts of their service. Pretty sure I’ve kept it pretty even tempered thus far.

In my view, the individual or company performing the work already had one chance to look at the results of their work and not send back a blade in worse condition than they received it. Regardless of if they have a third party sharpen the blades or not, they ultimately own quality control of the service they provide and I paid for.
    When laguna was here on the west coast they had store front in Irvine or maybe Costa Mesa. I saw the Resaw King sharping machine very impressive. Sorta remember the salesman said million dollar machine. I did not envy the guy that was responsible for keeping it tuned.
    I would buy another Rk blade if I had wood was very special. It’s more then a resaw blade to me it’s a joinery blade for the finest timbers.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Yeah, they moved their RK sharpening to I think to the Carolinas a few years ago. I sent one out using the Cali form spring of 2020. Was delivered to California, but took them until late summer to find it and send it on. (pandemic didn’t help!!). Got it back in the fall, much duller than when it left home. Made a handful of attempts to get in touch by phone & email with no response. Kept it as a reminder, may give a place 40 miles or so away a short—plenty of carbide left.