Thread: Brown paper bag & Arm-R-Seal

Brown paper bag & Arm-R-Seal

Going to try out the brown paper bag for the first time on a new table that will be finished with Arm-R-Seal. When would be the right time to make use of brown paper bag as a final knock down....do I apply last coat of Arm-R-Seal and then do nothing until it fully cures (30-days). Then I just lightly pass with the bag

Have not used that technique on Arm-R-Seal, but tons of WB finishes, as they almost always need it.
    Still, I'd think 30 days is excessive. With WB, I usually don't find it urgent to smooth things out until the next day, so 12-24 hrs. Perhaps the ARS may be a bit softer, and better results had after 24-48 hrs.

Think of it this way: how long do you wait after applying a coat to sand in preparation for the next? That may be the simplest answer.
    To me, the bag treatment is the same as scuff sanding between coats. Only difference is that you're just nicking off the nibs, not running a coarse enough grit to affect the sheen. Paper bag, flat, fresh white copy paper, all works well. Just test on inconspicuous area to assure the sheen is not being altered.

jeff

I have used the brown paper bag rubout on several ARS Satin finished pieces. I waited 4-6 days (because I could) and the results were lovely. I don't think you need to wait for "full cure" but other, more knowledgeable, folks may disagree.