Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Admin Announcement - Please Read

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Mahony
    LOL, so did thy tell you which was more unpatriotic, buying a GM made in Korea, or a Subaru made in Indiana? I always get confused.

So I gather, from this thread, that other threads have been deleted and/or moved? And I thought I was beginning to have "senior moments". Now the owners of this site may do whatever they wish, but personally I would appreciate posted notices in place of the deleted threads. This seems to be SOP on most other internet fora.
    Your confused! How about my big bad Dodge Cummins with its US Dodge Boys Heritage assembled in Mexico by a company owned by the Germans using major parts made in Canada. I guess if I want a big bad American made pick up truck, I need to buy a toyota tundra made in Texas.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    I guess if I want a big bad American made pick up truck, I need to buy a toyota tundra made in Texas.
    Nah, a Ford F350 diesel dually built in Kentucky.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmeth
    Nah, a Ford F350 diesel dually built in Kentucky.
    From my vantage point, Kentucky is a foreign country.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    From my vantage point, Kentucky is a foreign country.
    Well, I won't comment on what folks in this neck of the woods consider Kaly-4-nya to be.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    I guess if I want a big bad American made pick up truck, I need to buy a toyota tundra made in Texas.
    Hmm....mine was made in Indiana... ...musta been the Yankee version...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

To Kieth Outten,

I just read this whole thread and I want to appologize if I said anything that could get you into trouble. I honestly dont try to insult anyone, but it comes out that way since I am not too good at getting my point accross.

I think the biggest problem is the fact that since we are writing and not talking that people really cant see the intentions of our words because they cant hear the tone in our voices. I myself am very easily misunderstood by even my own family when we email eachother or talk on the instant messengers. I always end up having to explain myself.

Anyway, I never try to push my views on anybody. I consider myself to be a patriot and a big part of my patriotism is that I believe we should all be free to make our own decisions and live by our own values. If I come off any other way, it is not intentional.

With that said, I already bought a machine from that manufacturer who shall remain nameless and I plan to buy more. I also dont think that anybody should feel ashamed or be ridiculed for any tool purchases that they make.

From now on, I will stay out of these political discussions and I will try to help and support all woodworkers who come on this forum in any way that I, personally, can, regardless of who they are, where they come from or what tools they buy.

Again, Keith, I sincerely apologize for any troubles that I may have caused.

Allen, thanks but your appology isn't necessary.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    How did the Buy American topic get into my thread?

Dev, there isn't any reason to be uncomfortable with this thread. This is a topic that needs to be discussed every now and again and it only causes a select few to pause and reflect

interesting at least

A lot of opinions .. a lot of valid stuff.
    In my experience the posts of mine that have been deleted were of nothing of the nature mentioned in this thread... mine have been simple jokes that could have been offensive by some so they were deleted... ( in my mind they were innocent enough but thats me) ... I also might add` that I would guess 85% of the time I was emailed by the moderator as to why they were deleting said thread and I appreciated that.
    I, most of the time vote with my dallors and also with my time to things.. If a tool is junk or at least my opinion is, it is junk I don't buy it, If a forum goes a way I don't like and ultimately I can't change it I don't go there any longer.
    I have not left SMC and don't imagine I will anytime soon. There are those whom I have disgareed with here... Some of whom in my opinion have violated the "no politics" rule. Yes in a minor way and it is let go but none the less have a political axe to grind. My solution I avoid there posts .. at least in threads of potential political jabbing. Bottom line is I will not ever agree with all the decisions made here by the moderators but I will allways be appreciative of there efforts for all of us to enjoy this forum... The good far far outweighs the parts I don't agree with and that is as good as it gets with most things in life.. Here I think it is higher for the better than most.

Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Allen, thanks but your appology isn't necessary.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    How did the Buy American topic get into my thread?

Dev, there isn't any reason to be uncomfortable with this thread. This is a topic that needs to be discussed every now and again and it only causes a select few to pause and reflect

Buy American. Hmm. Just kinda poped in there I guess.

Chris,

Thanks for your comments. We are still learnin how to run things and we do have a few things that need to be tuned. After three years we still have a ways to go but we haven't given up and we are not too old to learn new tricks so there is hope for us yet.

I get more than my share of email and private messages with lots of advice, most of it is very constructive and I appreciate the education. I expect all of our Moderators also get their share of feedback. I expect that as long as we are trying to improve the majority will stay.

You may have noticed that we are growing by leaps and bounds;

November 2005 - 89,780 visits
    December 2005 - 104,099 visits
    January 2006 - 106,592 visits and still climbing with over 18.3 million hits.

Aaron Koehl (he's young) will be back at the helm real soon so I can go back below deck and rest awhile (I'm old). I haven't done bad on my watch though, if you can believe the numbers
    Aaron is more flexible than I am and better qualified for the Captains Cabin. I do appreciate the support I have had these last few weeks from the friendly folks that inhabit The Creek.

Thanks to All.

Ol' Keith

11. I know that I'm responsible for a few hundred, maybe a thousand of those recent jumps in visits..... You'd think I've have other things to do (which, I do) but sometimes, I get stuck in the L shop with only the internet to entertain me...

Cheers!

Thanks, Keith!

I'd like to recognize and thank the gentleman from Freud who is a (very helpful) SMC Member.

I wish more suppliers (identified as Suppliers, of course, would join in.

Jump in the Creek, Suppliers, it's a great Market Research opportunity.

BIll

an explanation

just for the record; this thread was started because i pointed out the missing link in the chain of supply in another thread that shamelessly plugged a certain importer. i did so without malice or slander and only did so because i was included, as where each of us, as being patrons of this importers wares. my post was jerked without explanation, the thread was locked, and this thread soon followed.. here`s a link to the thread i commented on; http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30090
    after a week of self imposed exile i decided to return to smc and continue to offer what advice and insite i`m capable of. so if this post remains it should serve as explanation for this thread and some of the posts it contains. it also explains the signature now attached to my posts. tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Tod......apparently I didn't see the post to which you are referring! I'm sure glad you returned to the Creek! Your insite and wisdom is often appreciated from this bank of the Creek! Even if you're an old bike riding hippie type.....hillbilly!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Tod......apparently I didn't see the post to which you are referring! I'm sure glad you returned to the Creek! Your insite and wisdom is often appreciated from this bank of the Creek! Even if you're an old bike riding hippie type.....hillbilly!
    thank you ken! some times it takes me a while to check my attitude tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.