Thread: Bleaching maple?

Bleaching maple?

I want to turn a chess set. I've seen the result of the vinegar steel wool to get the black set. I saw somewhere that a guy had bleached maple to acquire a white piece of wood for this Christmas ornament. Is anyone acquainted with bleaching maple? What is used and how does one do it?

Thanks!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I've never done it, but google found this how to do article.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I like the 2-part wood bleach. I haven’t tried it on maple.
    I don’t have this brand but the brand is reputable: https://www.amazon.com/Zinsser-30045.../dp/B01MXDS72Z

Holly can also be quite white of you can find it. Otherwise I’d look for white sugar (hard) maple - some I’ve cut and dried for turning was whiter than others.

Are you going to make “traditional” Staunton pieces or something else? I have a book by Mike Darlow, Turned Chessmen, that has lots of ideas.

BTW i’ve added weights to wood in two ways: one, drilled holes and poured in molten lead, the other easier, fill hole with fine lead shot and epoxy.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I want to turn a chess set. I've seen the result of the vinegar steel wool to get the black set. I saw somewhere that a guy had bleached maple to acquire a white piece of wood for this Christmas ornament. Is anyone acquainted with bleaching maple? What is used and how does one do it?

Thanks!
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 12-10-2022 at 9:37 AM. Reason: typo

In my former profession, planning and research before starting a particular task was everything. Even now, being retired for 11 years, I research everything. Why I didn't Google this before I started this post is beyond me. Could it be my age? LOL!

Lee, 5 minutes after I started this thread, I googled, found and read that article. Thanks!

John, thanks for the name of the book and the author! I will see if I can find and buy it! I can always use ideas!

Thanks for the help guys!
    Ken

John, thanks for the name of the book and the author! I will see if I can find and buy it! I can always use ideas!
    Amazon carries the book, price high but not too bad for a used copy, insane for a new copy.
    https://www.amazon.com/Turned-Chessm.../dp/1565232593

I think I have every book that Mike Darlow and Richard Raffan have written, several copies of some to lend to students, etc. Two of my favorite turning authors.

I remember seeing chessmen designs in one of my other books but would have to look through some to find them.

JKJ

I saw that and sucked a deep breath. I haven't read any of Raffan's books, but I have several of his DVDs. My favorite turning author was Keith Rowley who died a couple years ago. I really enjoyed his way of explaining why and how.

Thanks. I will grovel for the wife and maybe get it as a Christmas present! Of course, I might buy it for her like a did a rifle scope when I was still elk hunting. I am glad she has a sense of humor!
    Ken

I saw that and sucked a deep breath. …
    Amazon has another listing for the book for about $140.

My copy was $18 new in 2008. Probably it’s not in print now and copies are getting harder to find. In that case I usually buy used if available.

I like Rowley too, especially his book Woodturning, A Foundation Course. People who don’t turn spindles but only bowls would do well to read what he says about that!

Hey, I just found this with another search, new for $25, used for 14 + shipping:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1565233735