Thread: Oddball combinations of woods and stains.

Oddball combinations of woods and stains.

Thinking of staining cherry with walnut. Curious what you think? Other odd combinations that look good. Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    I just tried Red Mahogany stain on Black locust wood. The result is not at all what I was going for. Oh well it was fun and informative. Mixing it up with stain can be entertaining. Our goofy kitchen cabinet doors are cobalt blue on reclaimed knotty pine.

IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg I wanted the Black Locust Smellotone banjo to look like an old Gibson, instead it looks like an old Barcalounger.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-08-2022 at 8:06 PM. Reason: image
    Best Regards, Maurice

I just used GF Georgian Cherry on walnut as a first step towards a dark purple finish. ... No, that's not a typo...

I was surprised at how well I liked it. Wish I had a picture of it. I may try that as a final finish on something someday.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

It's a shame to do so, IMO, but you can make cherry look like walnut. Here's a cabinet I made that the customer insisted on that combination. Only the man above knows why.

I used a custom mixed SW's BAC Wiping Stain, then Sealcoat sealer and GF Enduro Poly topcoat. Why not just use walnut?

John

Why not just use walnut?
    I'll take a stab at it:
    1- Cost: Last report I saw regarding hardwood pricing, cherry seems to be holding it's original market value the closest to pre-covid changes, as compared to all the other American species.
    Possibly due to reduced demand?
    2- Fade: That cherry will deepen slightly in color, as opposed to the walnut, which when left natural, will lighten and amber over time.

Beautiful cabinet, BTW.

jeff

John looks nice. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    It's a shame to do so, IMO, but you can make cherry look like walnut. Here's a cabinet I made that the customer insisted on that combination. Only the man above knows why.

I used a custom mixed SW's BAC Wiping Stain, then Sealcoat sealer and GF Enduro Poly topcoat. Why not just use walnut?

John
    John, how did you minimize the splotchy way cherry takes stain? Even gel stain I put on has splotchy spots. Thanks Brian

Just delivered and installed this one. All pacific figured maple. Rubio chocolate and mahogany. I expected to and did, struggle with the color balance on such figured wood but am pleased with it in the end. Client was beyond thrilled.

IMG_0897.jpgE14CF7BD-E2E1-41DF-B013-8170901F5DBA.jpg

Blog Entries
    Very nice! Very clever too!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Bryan, sweet!