Thread: Do most chainsaws eventually leak?

Do most chainsaws eventually leak?

It seems to happen to most of saws I've seen.

what the heck are you talking about ?

Only saws I've ever seen "leak" are the wet saws the tile guys use. Those things leak, spray, dribble, and mist all over the place.

I have a table saw, band saws, circular saws, reciprocating saws, hacksaws, backsaws, fretsaws and ryobi saws. None of them leak.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Leak what? Sawdust. electrons, ??

Hipa is referring to chainsaws, a topic which appears to be endlessly fascinating to him.

Not if your doing it right…

Makita uses a diffferent gear system then skil so they do not leak because they use a heavy grease not oil. Cotton picking grease helps reduce leaks since it is more solid when cold.
    Bill D

OP is a Forum Sponsor, but also a bot.
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Please don't feed the Trolls.

Does this question apply to bandsaws?

The thrust roller shaft on my machine has a cap threaded onto the end.
    Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the right grease, regular brown stuff, or the stuff for higher temperatures?

Thanks
    Thrust Guide.jpg
    https://i.postimg.cc/3r0gqDZ3/Thrust-Guide.png

.Hipa Store.... Yes, most chainsaws eventually leak bar oil... I have a Stihl, Jonserad, Homelite all leak bar oil, but not a lot... Have had other brands and they did also.. Have not had any leak the gas mixture though...
    I often lay them on their side with the bar on top to prevent it..

My Stihl MS261CM leaks bar oil like crazy. Never fuel, but if I leave it sitting in the case with a full tank of bar oil, it will all leak out by the next use, which may be months apart. May need to be looked at for repair, but I just top it off and use it. Haven't bothered dragging it back to the dealer to ask.

I have a Husky 357 that started leaking bar oil recently. I took it apart and replaced the tube that went from the tank to the pump and also the tube from the pump to the bar. That took care of the problem. I put Loctite 518 on the sealing area coming out of the tank and on the pump. It was not a difficult repair on my saw. Youtube had video of a similar saw that gave my guidance.
    You may want to look into doing the repair your self.

Yes chain saws are somewhat messy when it comes to the bar and the oil.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I have an Echo pole saw that leaks bar oil when I hang it up and forget to drain the tank first. Out of the three gas saws I have, none leak bar oil. One Husqvarna leaks gas when placed on side for fuel/oil fill ups, but that is a common trait of the 350. One day I will replace all the hoses and vents.

The electric Milwaukee does not leak gas, only electrons.