Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaper Origin

My problem and sometimes my reluctance on performing some steps on projects is the set up and or contemplating a jig to make in order to perform that task accurately and with repeatability.
    You're not going to eliminate set up reluctance or set up time with S.O. You're still going to have to to design and program it to do what you want - unless you use the native files or one from a public domain. But chances of that being exactly what you need/want are slim - unless you're just looking for something to have fun with.

So far you haven't mentioned anything that leads me to believe you need this tool for anything that makes any business/economic sense. If you want one and can afford it, just get one - stop trying to "justify" a need.

I bought the Gen 1 but returned it within the 30 day trial mainly because it is too slow, fatiguing to use and other reasons. I do see uses for it though and if I still had a biz would probably buy one because you can bring it to the work and does well at a quick hole/square type thing.

I never noticed the bump on the bottom getting in the way, personally I would buy the latest and greatest if I was to buy again. Better camera (which may improve the accuracy issues on larger routs), they updated the steppers build and the electronics to be more responsive, and some other things. In my view being in PD developing gen 1 products, gen 2 products are almost always big improvements based on the user feedback and warranty issues from the gen 1 users which is essentially free testing for them. Alot of the improvements are under the hood and not necessarily obvious to the user, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some new capabilities built in for future improvements that won't be available for the gen1, typical product life cycle although can vary is 10 years on an electronic gizmo

With that said if you were to get the gen 1 you may never know or care about the differences, it may even be beneficial if you are on the fence less money for the Gen 1 don't like it less money lost on resale.

I’ve had one for a couple months. My primary use will be hardware routing on doors and making shaper templates. The new addition of shaper plate makes a lot of things simpler. So far the software has been easy to master. I find for more complex cuts it’s frustrating to use the iPhone to program and better to go to a computer. Phone is fine for a lot of stuff though. The fact you can adjust in very small increments makes the hardware routing very precise and eliminating jigs. I’ve only made one curve door template with it so far and that was fine. Anxious to try a big flat arch on a 8’ sheet. Hopefully won’t have the same problem Kevin mentioned about accuracy on large pieces. On the templates I just rout one pass 1/4” deep and finish it on the shaper with a flush cutter. It is pretty slow to cut clear through 3/4” material with the small router.

Thanks for the input, I would think making jigs and templates would be another great use. To my point earlier, I would think you would continue to find ways to make use of it.

Nick, the Shaper Origin is surprisingly powerful and accurate and does some things pretty darn well, especially with the accessory table/work support that is really well suited to joinery. I've never felt a draw to it, personally, but folks I've seen use it (generally on the 'Tube) are doing some pretty nice stuff. Templates, fixtures, inlay are, as you note, great uses for this tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nick,
    I believe you can register on their site without owning one and also get a trial version of the Studio software without paying anything. They also have several articles about projects other users have done. Might be worth your while to look it over.
    https://www.shapertools.com/en-us/

I will say some of the projects I see on the site could be done quicker using bandsaw, Sander, shaper and table saw. But for items where precision is required it is good. I have played with it a bit and did some furniture size mortise and tenon. Pretty slow compared to how I normally do them but incredibly accurate if that is important.

I've had a Gen 1 since almost the day the machine was released a few years ago. You will enjoy it a lot and find many uses for it. Its particularly great at doing precise hardware installation and doing one off complex tasks on the go. What it isn't great for is for repetitive tasks such as cutting out shapes in 3/4" plywood. Very slow and laborious for that purpose unless you combine with another cutout method. Purchasing a shaper origin to do repetitive cutout tasks is going to disappoint you but for about a million other things in a one-off mode it is fantastic. I have a large gantry CNC and still use the shaper all the time.

R
    Richard Link

I've had my Gen 1 for a couple of years. I've used it for many projects, mostly inlay type stuff, but it's worked very well.

I did some SOSS hinges in the side of 1/2" ply and then fit beautifully.

I've since bought a Onefinity CNC, so the SO has been a little neglected.

I did buy the workstation, but had pretty much made my own before they initially released it. It wasn't a game changer, at least not for me.

I have the original shaper origin and its ok but its a router with a display limited to what it can see as far as the ID tape goes
    For what i use it for with the work station its ok, but because of the ID tape required it does have limitations , I have videos showing the things i have done
    it does not replace a cnc machine of any size
    Also you can print the ID tape yourself

Quote Originally Posted by stan kern View Post
    I have the original shaper origin and its ok but its a router with a display limited to what it can see as far as the ID tape goes
    For what i use it for with the work station its ok, but because of the ID tape required it does have limitations , I have videos showing the things i have done
    it does not replace a cnc machine of any size
    Also you can print the ID tape yourself
    That's great to know Stan! Where can we see you videos?
    Thanks,
    David

right here just look for shaper origin let me know if you cannot find them
    https://stankern.vids.io/