Thread: Pearl Harbor Day

Pearl Harbor Day

Prayers for those who lost their lives at Pearl Harbor Naval Base in 1941.

pearl-harbor-Charleston WVA newspaper.jpg

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Betty & I visited the Arizona Memorial several years ago. It was a sobering experience.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    My reminder is my dad who served in the Pacific in WWII and my son who turned 55 today.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the reminder! I am trying to remember and find on the web a juvenile book that our Library used to have. It is an easy reader, memoir of one of the US Fighter Pilots that managed to get airborne and do some heroic deeds on the morning of Dec. 7 1941.
    I did find a book about Ginny McAllister. (The Librarian will bring that home for me soon).

I still have not remembered or found the the book. The story starts with the detection of a mini Japanese submarine that showed up too early and goes on to tell about George Welch and Kenneth Taylor.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-09-2022 at 7:33 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

The stories that were shared after Pearl Harbor concerning how fast and furious the American people responded are the most inspiring in our history. Converting our country to an American war machine was more impressive than any other historical event. The American people and all of our businesses went to work and produced war materials and machines at a rate we probably could not match today. This is the principle reason that they were deemed the "Greatest Generation". In spite of great suffering America responded in ways our enemies never thought possible. Every one of our automobile companies were quickly on board converting their assembly lines to produce war machines. Shipbuilding companies set records for new launches that were amazing given the time and technology available. As the war progressed the American people never let up for one minute, right to the end of the war our people were designing and building massive munitions that quickly ended the war.

Everything we learned concerning mass production was immediately implemented post war which drove our economy upward and made a significant difference in the direction and growth we experienced after the war. During WWII my mother worked at Langley Air Force Base changing tires on airplanes, my Dad was in the Navy and spent his time in the Pacific.

I'm too young to have a father in WWII. My father was born the year after WWII ended. My one grandfather was exempt from service in WWII due to working on a farm. My father was the perfect age for Vietnam and got drafted, but was exempted due to college and he went to work for a company making stuff for the military. The military exempted him from going to Vietnam as his civilian work was more valuable to the military. I'm not sure if my other grandfather served in WWII. He was a court reporter his whole career so maybe that exempted him?

The best books I’ve read (listened too) on WW2 are Ian Toll’s trilogy (Pacific Crucible, Conquering Tide, and Twilight of the Gods). He is a serious historian but makes the subject relatable and compelling. Absolutely the best, most comprehensive telling of the Pacific war. He covers everything, from the battles, the various leaders on both sides, the politics of the time in the US and Japan, etc. Each book is long, but you won’t regret it if you love history. He does justice to everyone who served.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Pearl Harbor is a place where heroes rest. The Sons and Daughters of America stood and on that day died for our freedom, yours and mine.
    We will never forget Pearl Harbor but I ask every American to consider that Pearl Harbor happens every day. Over and over again when one of our heroes falls in service to America protecting our Freedom. In the seat of a jet, on the deck of a ship or boots on the ground is some far away place with a name we have never heard of until a Hero gives all so we can go on. The very fact that The Sons and Daughters of America will leave behind everything they love to go forward to guarantee our place, our America, will never fall even if it means giving up everything they love and left behing to go forward for you and me.
    Thank a Hero every day, your freedom depends on it.
    mike calabrese