Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glasses and masks that work together

Glasses and masks that work together

I wear prescription safety glasses in the shop (from rx-safety.com). Every dust mask I've tried (Disposable N95s, 3M, RZ) sits too high on my nose, and pushes the glasses up in a way that makes them uncomfortable and distorts the prescription. Has anyone found a mask and glasses combination that avoids this problem?

I've even looked at full face masks, but anything with a respirator still has a mouth/nose cover, and since I'd still need to wear some kind of glasses underneath for my prescription, this doesn't solve the problem.
    Last edited by Aaron Karp; 12-07-2022 at 12:34 PM.

There are full face ventilated/filtered masks available that do not require a mouth/nose cover. Even my old 3M from years ago that I use with the lathe for "heavy work" in the rare moment that I turn something was setup that way. That said, I wear glasses and don't have too much issue with my RZ interfering with them. But everyone's face is different for sure...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use a Trend respirator that has a face shield with no nose/mouth cover, I wear my glasses under it with no problem.

I like Elipse Low-Profile Dust Respirator with my prescription safety glasses.

No problem with glasses in my 3M powered respirator-- not only do they fit easily, they never fog up.

I’d pay a bizillion dollars for a permanent solution. “Guaranteed no-fog, blah, blah, blah…” Tried them all and none of it works in the South. So jealous of those who get to work in cool, dry air for much of the year.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    No problem with glasses in my 3M powered respirator-- not only do they fit easily, they never fog up.
    Ditto but mine is the Miller brand; same form factor. You glasses frame style plays a part as well. Mine are large, older, B&L frames with adjustable nose pads. The frames with built in, non-adjustable nose pads do not do well for me so I am milking these babies for all they are worth.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use a Peke safety Powercap Active IP Respirator, not cheap but I can wear it all day with no issues
    Link

I use these on my full-face mask with zero fogging - https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...s?item=22R7343
    Howard Rosenberg

Quote Originally Posted by JOEL MONGEON View Post
    I like Elipse Low-Profile Dust Respirator with my prescription safety glasses.
    This looks like a good low cost option to try first. If it doesn't work I'll look for a full face respirator. Thanks!

I use these, & wear glasses- they both work well, & I don't notice an issue with the mask pushing glasses up.

A disposable, or semi-disposable that doesn't seal well will have fogging problems.

https://www.amazon.com/GVS-SPR451-El...s%2C114&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-770...s%2C157&sr=8-2

This style always worked for me....if you cab find them PXL_20221201_194053054.jpg

Like Joel and Cameron, I use the Elipse mask. Lightweight, comfortable and effective. It pushes my glasses around for sure - can you get a pair of glasses dedicated to the shop on which you can remove the "nose tabs"?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Karp View Post
    I wear prescription safety glasses in the shop (from rx-safety.com). Every dust mask I've tried (Disposable N95s, 3M, RZ) sits too high on my nose, and pushes the glasses up in a way that makes them uncomfortable and distorts the prescription. Has anyone found a mask and glasses combination that avoids this problem?

I've even looked at full face masks, but anything with a respirator still has a mouth/nose cover, and since I'd still need to wear some kind of glasses underneath for my prescription, this doesn't solve the problem.
    Hmmm, I wear glasses for detail work in the shop and haven't had trouble using them with a respirator. I prefer the 3M models with two filters. I have a bunch of the 1/2 face respirator and a couple of the full face masks. (I prefer the 7500 series 1/2 face respirators because of the more flexible materials used.) For the shop I use P100 filters.

respirator.jpg respirator_full_face2.jpg

This is the 1/2 mask with glasses, both under a Uvex Bionic face shield. If these don't work with your glasses perhaps a pair with nose pieces adjusted a little would put the glasses where you need them.

resipirator_mask_IMG_20170410_201317_664.jpg

JKJ

You might check out this snorkel-like device http://duxterity.com/resp-o-rator/ I use an old 3M Airmate PAPR.