Thread: Gray streaks in curly maple?

Gray streaks in curly maple?

What causes the gray streaks in this curly maple? They are confined to the rings close to the bark edge.

IMG_4827.jpg

Whatever the cause, what is your view of them? Do some woodworkers consider them as adding interesting character, or are they more or less universally rejected?

That is likely a fungal stain, with few if any effects on the structural properties of the maple. Chacun à ses goûts - aesthetics are personal. Finish a sample and see what you think.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Agreed, likely early stages of spalting. I love it when used carefully, but then I also like spicy food.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

The trick is to see them as silver, rather than grey. Makes it ever so much prettier.

I got a bunch of equipment and the crates were wrapped with what I thought was pine but had these silver streaks, I had to take a bunch home.

That looks like the the effects of Ambrosia beetle infestation. If you look up and down the board, there's a small bore hole for each of the gray streaks. Some people pay extra for ambrosia maple. I personally don't like it. Ambrosia + curl is a bonus though for those who like it.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    The trick is to see them as silver, rather than grey.
    Hey, I'm talking about streaks in the wood, not my hair!

Depends on what you're going to use the curly maple for. Personally, I would not want those streaks in most things I'd use curly maple for.

I use a fair amount of ambrosia maple and I don't find it expensive around here. I think the commercial people who use maple don't want the streaks of ambrosia so there's not that much demand for it, which makes it cheaper. I like the streaks.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.