Thread: trash can cabinet pull out design for retofit

trash can cabinet pull out design for retofit

I need to borrow a brain or two to go with mine, late-tired. I have an existing trash unit with blum undermount. Soft close failed @ 4-5 years after install. Replaced with same these failed 1 year in. Guides move fine, just won't finish closing them the last 3/4". used the same mounting screw holes etc... I'm trying to build an new box/insert that will allow me to use side mount guides and I am unsure if I have enough clearance to play with . 1/2 wide gives me 150lb rating, 3/4 clearance gives me 200lb rating, but I don't think I can fit the 3/4 units.

Face frame opening is 15" So to use 1/2 I need to go down to 14 on the outside of the box or 13-1/2 if I use 3/4. Width of the plywood box now is 14-5/8" Looking down on the cut out holes for the trash cans the holes are off center. I have a total of 1-3/8" of plywood from the edge of the hole to the inside face of the plywood box. 1/2 plywood is being used, can't go any thinner.

So to make the outside of the box 14" I need to take 5/8" from the 1-3/8" I have existing. Leaves me 3/4 or 3/8" on either side assuming I can center the holes. I think this is doable. To use 3/4 wide guides I need to go down to 13-1/2 so I need to take 1-1/8 off the 1-3/8 I have and this leaves me 1/4" or 1/8 each side. Makes me nervous to cut it this close.

Have I got my math correct? Opinions? I like to have 200lb rating, but think this is just to wide on the guide.

Thanks.

Brian

trash bin.jpg
    Brian

You might look for a different width of trash can. They come in many sizes. Or maybe you turn the trash cans so that the short axis of the footprint runs left-right instead of in-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    You might look for a different width of trash can. They come in many sizes. Or maybe you turn the trash cans so that the short axis of the footprint runs left-right instead of in-out.
    Jamie, not enough room to turn them. Nothing wrong with the cans if they will fit. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Jamie, not enough room to turn them. Nothing wrong with the cans if they will fit. Brian
    In your first post, you basically established that the existing cans don't fit -- at least not with strong enough slides and platform. Different cans might get you what you want.

Brian, before you do a major redesign, look at the Blum Movento slides made specifically for trash pullouts. I think it would solve your reliability problem. Bonus: you can add the blum servo to the movento to get bump to open function on the pullout. I put that in my kitchen and it is still my favorite thing about the new kitchen. It is so handy when your hands are full of stuff...just a light bump with the knee and the cans roll out.

But even it you aren't interested in the servo, take a look at the movento slides for trash pullouts.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Brian, before you do a major redesign, look at the Blum Movento slides made specifically for trash pullouts. I think it would solve your reliability problem. Bonus: you can add the blum servo to the movento to get bump to open function on the pullout. I put that in my kitchen and it is still my favorite thing about the new kitchen. It is so handy when your hands are full of stuff...just a light bump with the knee and the cans roll out.

But even it you aren't interested in the servo, take a look at the movento slides for trash pullouts.

Paul, thanks. I see these would mount on the floor of the cabinet. I guess I don't understand why the soft close would work better on these than the side mount units? The servo only works to open the unit, not close it correct? Brian
    Last edited by Brian Runau; 12-07-2022 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Paul, thanks. I see these would mount on the floor of the cabinet. I guess I don't understand why the soft close would work better on these than the side mount units? The servo only works to open the unit, not close it correct? Brian
    I believe the movento waste pullout set is heavier duty than the standard blum undermounts, and it has over-extension (about 3/4 past full extension) to allow the rear basket (on a dual basket roll out) to be removed easily.

You're correct, the servo only opens the drawer; the drawer closes in the usual fashion.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    I believe the movento waste pullout set is heavier duty than the standard blum undermounts, and it has over-extension (about 3/4 past full extension) to allow the rear basket (on a dual basket roll out) to be removed easily.

You're correct, the servo only opens the drawer; the drawer closes in the usual fashion.
    Thanks Paul

I'll make an interjection, if full replacement is being considered. Try a Kessebohmer double trash bin roll out:
    https://www.cabinetparts.com/p/kesse...UErowcoH-1o-Hk

Why?
    1>The slide is an integrated part of the full steel welded frame. No comparison to side or undermount slides in terms of durability.
    2> I've installed so many, can't count, and never had one issue.

Also utilized the Grass servo bump to open mechanism on a couple, if you don't mind spending twice the cost of the trash roll out for that little razzle-dazzle gizmo, it is kinda cool.

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roltgen View Post
    I'll make an interjection, if full replacement is being considered. Try a Kessebohmer double trash bin roll out:
    https://www.cabinetparts.com/p/kesse...UErowcoH-1o-Hk

Why?
    1>The slide is an integrated part of the full steel welded frame. No comparison to side or undermount slides in terms of durability.
    2> I've installed so many, can't count, and never had one issue.

Also utilized the Grass servo bump to open mechanism on a couple, if you don't mind spending twice the cost of the trash roll out for that little razzle-dazzle gizmo, it is kinda cool.

jeff
    Jeff, I am willing to build a new box to fit with side mount guides, if I can fit them in there. thanks brian
    Last edited by Brian Runau; 12-08-2022 at 4:33 PM.
    Brian