Thread: Bandsaw Box: Sanding interior

Bandsaw Box: Sanding interior

When I cut out the drawer from the shell, the outside of the drawer and the inside of the shell are rough. I can sand them smooth, but then the drawer no longer fits very well.

Options I can think of:

* Leave it rough -- it's the inside!

* Apply flocking, which I see in a few YouTube videos.

What am I missing?

Look up Art Espenet Carpenter he’s the inventor of the bandsaw box. I don’t think it’s a problem with a loose drawer. Maybe with a little research you will your answer.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Sand the pieces smooth, and cover one/both surfaces with veneer.
    The only other way I know of is to use a scroll saw sized blade, and be very accurate in your cut.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have glued an slightly oversized 1/8" to 3/16" thick face on the drawer front. The face is usually close to flush on the bottom edge of the drawer and I then used spokeshaves and sandpaper to fit the face to the opening. I trim the depth of the drawer body to leave the face just a little proud of the case. Lots of test fit and sand, test fit and sand. This one is for a granddaughter, she is worthy of the time spent.

30 Front Open.jpg 32 Maple Veneer Front.jpg

I have made a lot of those boxes. I cut some 1/4 inch wide strips of scrap leather, the same color that I use to line the drawers with. I glue them on the bottom of the drawers to make a pair of drawer runners. Keeps the wood pieces from rubbing on each other and it spaces the drawer up just the right amount